6mm-284vs 6mmAI

+1 one the 6mmx284 I've been using one for a long while.Mine is a 26" Shilen 1/10 twist it love 95gr nosler ballistic tips.Accurate,flat and low recoil I've let several kids kill their first deer with it.Reloading is just run 6.5x284 through a 6mmx284 die and load.I use retumbo in mine.

I recently built a 6mm-06 and throated it for long bullets. I was torn between the 6-284 and the 6-06. The rifle was going to be used for hunting, so I chose the 6-06 as I was concerned with the reported feeding problems of the 6-284. Additionally, I already had a Remmy 700 LA and lots of 25-06 brass. Making cases is as easy as passing a piece of 25-06 brass though a 6-06 die. No neck turning or trimming...pretty easy. The cases feed like butter through the action as well.

Love the 6mm cal with long, heavy bullets. Between the 2 cartridges you mentioned, I would go 6-284 due to it's capability to drive heavy bullets faster. A 105 Hybrid/VLD at 3300+fps is a real monster for long range deer, varmits and steel. Put's lots of bigger cartridges, burning more powder, to shame at long range.

so I bought a barrel in 6x284 thinking it was a 6.5. Also have dies. I have a bunch of 6.5x284 lap brass. Can I just resize this in the dies??? I have not built it yet so I have to get my new action and then I am game....
Just curious as I know nothing about this cartridge.

Thanks
Mario

I think you come to love the 6x284, I know I sure like mine. To answer your question; yes, provided you have the 6x284 dies. I use a 6.5x284 bushing die & step my Lapua brass down in 2 steps. I utilize an HS Precision DBM in a Rem 700 Long Action, it feeds just fine. 3400+ with a 107SMK sure gets anywhere dern quick :) Very little recoil & VERY flat trajectory; What's there not to like?

t

I think you come to love the 6x284, I know I sure like mine. To answer your question; yes, provided you have the 6x284 dies. I use a 6.5x284 bushing die & step my Lapua brass down in 2 steps. I utilize an HS Precision DBM in a Rem 700 Long Action, it feeds just fine. 3400+ with a 107SMK sure gets anywhere dern quick :) Very little recoil & VERY flat trajectory; What's there not to like?

t

I have a 6x284 die set. 3 dies bushing. And I have rcbs 6.5 dies. And I have lapua bass in 6.5x284. So I just lube it up and use the6x284 dies to size it????
I think I'll like it. I was opposed to it but now I'm reading what yall say and I like it.

I've had my 6-284 for quite a few years and it has been excellent but I always thought that if I wanted something that was slightly less overbore yet still could get awesome brass for, I'd have a 6x55 or 6x55AI built and use Lapua 6.5x55 brass. If you improve the case on the 6.5x55 it has a pretty healthy pick up, too. I've always thought a fast tw 22x55 or 22x55AI would make for a sweet little coyote/varmint gun.

My dad has a 22-6mm that is getting harder and harder to find brass for. He's thinking 22-284 as a replacement but he wants to keep the barrel length to 24in. I think, at 24 inches, the 22x55 would be a better choice and run nearly as fast with less powder.

I recently worked up a load with a 24" 243 rem takeoff I rechambered to 6mm-284. Used RL-17 with the 95 gr classic hunter. Velocity at 45 degrees was 3433 fps. Would have loved to use the 105 berger hybrid but twist is marginal.

I have owned the 6mm/06, 6mm AI and 6mm-.284, not much practical difference in the three. The 6/06 is the easiest to feed with easily available brass and might have a slight velocity edge. I currently shoot a 6-.284 in a heavy Encore 17" barrel as a pistol, very accurate and fun to shoot. I have ruined a few cases trying to neck them down from 6.5, to avoid this make sure you chamfer the outside of the neck a little or use a bushing with a slight radius.

Bob

If you are using a standard seating die you can partially reduce the neck diameter by running the lubed necks into it before the regular FL 6mm-284 die or a bushing die.

If you only have a 6mm bushing die you could put the bushing into a drill and sand and polish one end making a more tapered mouth.

Or if you have the reamer and access to a lathe you can use it to make a intermediate necking down die. I did this with an old 264 win mag barrel. Threaded outside to 7/8-14 then ran chamber reamer inside. Polished the neck and it will reduce 284 win brass partway. Will be an easy inbetween with the 6.5-284 brass

warning! be extremely careful with building a 6mm-284! you will most likely end up also building a 22-284 since the 284 wildcats are so darn much fun :D

I have a 6x284 die set. 3 dies bushing. And I have rcbs 6.5 dies. And I have lapua bass in 6.5x284. So I just lube it up and use the6x284 dies to size it????
I think I'll like it. I was opposed to it but now I'm reading what yall say and I like it.

That's the gest of it, yes. I've had far better luck with Lapua brass than I did Norma for some odd reason. I've had zero problems necking the Lapua brass down, in multiple steps of course. It's also not a bad idea to anneal afterwards if you can. I'm still running my original 100pcs of Lapua w/o annealing to no ill effect.

IMHO, spend the extra $26 & buy an intermediate TiNi bushing & if you want, it wouldn't hurt to use some imperial dry lubricant on the necks before sizing (though not required). As one of the fastest & easiest to form 6mm's on the planet, I'm willing to bet you'll be very happy with it when you get'er up & running.

t

That's the gest of it, yes. I've had far better luck with Lapua brass than I did Norma for some odd reason. I've had zero problems necking the Lapua brass down, in multiple steps of course. It's also not a bad idea to anneal afterwards if you can. I'm still running my original 100pcs of Lapua w/o annealing to no ill effect.

IMHO, spend the extra $26 & buy an intermediate TiNi bushing & if you want, it wouldn't hurt to use some imperial dry lubricant on the necks before sizing (though not required). As one of the fastest & easiest to form 6mm's on the planet, I'm willing to bet you'll be very happy with it when you get'er up & running.

t

I have a bushing die. What size bushing do I need?? Sorry if that's a stupid question. Just want to do it right

Thanks

Mario

That really isn't a stupid question.

I don't recall what bushings I use from memory, I run bushings in several different calibers & haven't been able to remember off the top of my head. I can look at my logs if you like & tell you which I use.

t

I use a .272 bushing in my 6-284 w/Redding die and that gives me 2 thou neck tension using necked down Lapua 6.5-284 brass. My 6-284 is only a 1-12tw and I mostly only shoot 75Vmax. A loaded round with the 75 Vmax and Lapua brass, consistantly, measures .274

I've played around with 1, 2 and 3 thou neck tension and it didn't seem to make much difference so I settled on 2 thou neck tension which was the .272 bushing. Be interesting to read what you other 6-284 guys have for numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.