6mm-223

nfhjr62

Saw on another form that Hornady is making 6mm-223 dies is anyone loading this round as several bullet makers are making High BC 6mm bullets that may work better than what was available when this round first came out.

I currently have two of them one AR and one Cooper bolt gun. Most folks refer to them as 6X45mm and if you search you can find lots in data.
In the AR platform 80gr bullets are about the max you can use due to magazine length restrictions. 85gr seems to be about where the top end of velocity vs case size and practical use seems to be.
I have shot quite a few animals with 65-80gr bullets with mine mostly predators but numerous whitetail deer and feral hogs as well.
Its easy to load for and quite accurate with most of the same powders that work well with the .223
XTerminator/ AA2015/ H335/ all do well along with others to numerous to mention.

Saw on another form that Hornady is making 6mm-223 dies is anyone loading this round as several bullet makers are making High BC 6mm bullets that may work better than what was available when this round first came out.

If it is based on the 6mm Remington, It is called the Texas trophy Hunter (the original wildcat
that was designed by a Hornady employ) I cant remember his name, but he worked in the Custom die department and would be of great help if you could find out who he is. I want to say his name is Lonnie Hummel (Or something like that).

I also think that Redding makes dies for it. The Texas Trophy Hunter could also be called a .223/6mm

If it is based on a 223 case, Hornady also makes the dies for it ( It would be called a 6mm/223)

J E CUSTOM

We have used 6x45 cal in SA for years, 223 cal rifle were banned in most provinces so we converted our 223's to 6x45's.

The calibre is a good all rounder for springbok, impala, bushbuck size animals, we regularly shot out beyond 400 yards on the Karoo plains while hunting springbok.

I have an acquaintance in Wyoming who takes antelope to 600 yards with 85gr bullets with the 6X45mm but that's on the extreme end and I have only shot steel that far.
I mainly just shoot coyotes with mine.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts