223 brass

robert j

bought 100 new pieces of Winchester /Remington 223 brass .went to trim them to control length for crimping .first one out of the bag had damage to the neck . looked like it was melted . went through the rest and found the same melt look on the shoulder. like small dent or a pit like in welding . sent Winchester a email explaining what I found . but no reply back had to keep it under 250 characters . so explaining was on the short side . any body found this crap before and do you think that they will respond and make it right 5 pieces out of 100

j, found 7 of 50 with same flaws and folds in the necks. Took them back to store and received a full refund. Haven't purchased Win brass since, that was 2005. Never encountered this with any other brand. Obvious why Win brass is lower in price.

Brass isn't welded, it is drawn. Does it look like this...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 73
I have had good luck with their customer support. If you go to Winchester's web page you need to go to the bottom and click support and then click "product support" and fill that out not "customer support". I hope this helps out. They usually respond the same day.

no the welding part was just to give a visualization. like spatter from welding. leaving a crater in the shoulder area . what you have shown is discoloration from annealing . I do beleavee

I had the same problem with the last batch of winchester brass I bought. It looked like a fold was created on the neck before the final sizing. I sent them a email, no reply. I try to stay away from there brass if at all possible and have usually had better luck with remington brass. My 22-250 ackley remington headstamped brass is on it's 8th firing with max loads, annealing every 3rd firing. The primer pockets are just starting to loosen up and I've only lost one to a split neck.

I think you may find that both Winchester and Remington brass getting harder and harder to find as components. Both companies are putting everything they make into loaded ammo. The bags of components are seconds, or rejects from the ammo line.
I have suspected for years that Winchester couldn't care less about reloaders, their only care is in ammo sales, and they send out seconds for reloading.
I no longer buy Winchester brass, it used to be my favourite, but, the lack of QC on it has turned me away from it.

Cheers.
gun)

Last edited:
Win and Remmy brass has been coming to the door with tons of dents and crumpled case necks. I've also had a lot of trouble with the primer flash hole uniformity and have as a result more or less abandoned domestic brass. I just got a huge lot of .223 Prvi brass in and that stuff was just bloody awesome. Not a dent, not a bent case mouth, not a bad primer hole or pocket or length in the bunch. Put a couple hundred of them together real fast with my normal load for remmy brass and ended up with groups half the size and slightly more consistent velocities. These are 5 shot groups and I fired over 20 of them. I'd been leery of Prvi because of its country of origin but I'm starting to lose that bigotry now.

I had issues as well with Winchester brass. If your situation allows, try Lake City brass. I get 500 at a time, once fired military with crimps removed. They get sorted thoroughly and any cases that are dented or out of spec (my spec) are discarded. Just note that it is 5.56 not 223 so pressures are higher. Very affordable, extremely consistent, and withstand a lot of loadings. Pretty much loading V max or Noslet BT over Varget. Easily sub-MOA.

Reading these horror stories makes me glad I buy only Lapua and Norma brass

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.