6br for hunting

huntinfool18

is anybody using this for hunting antelope/deer? i thought i saw a post where someone was using one with the 105 amax but couldnt find it.l will be using 105-115gr bullets. let me know your thoughts.

just curious,are u just wanting another gun or are u into the competitive target shooting?

both. im building one right now in a tactical platfrom. barrel off getting sprial fluted right now. more for just paper punching than anything.

I use a 6 mm dasher, an improved 6BR. I gain around 100 - 150 fps over a regular 6 br with 105 Bergers. The 6 BR / Dasher cartriges are SCARY efficient rounds, especialy with a longer BBL. This is one of my 1000 yard comp guns, but works very well on deer out to 400 yds.

I would use Lapua brass, as it has the small primer pocket. I believe that the 6 mm REM br uses large primers. Way better brass, all though a little pricy.

I say go for it.

Took a few deer, coyotes, fox and coon.

2840 mv w/105 amax 26" 8t bbl by Pac-Nor, 3 groove

Shot one deer at 400 yds, double lunged, struggled hard to stumble 25 yds and down/dead.

All else died ON IMPACT.

RP brass ALSO uses small primers, Lapua brass way to go. Make sure Smith knows to chamber so will accept ALL brass, Lapua, Norma and RP and you are good to go.

thanks guys. im doing all the work myself. and have remington and lapua brass. just waiting on the barrel to get back and shes all set.

im trying to get set up to shoot in some f-class stuff.i was going to build a 300wsm on a rem. action but a buddy invited me to a small bore shoot before i got a chance to send my gun off.boy am i glad.i have the bug to shoot high power some kinda serious now.im pretty sure i have decided to go ahead with the 6.5-284.im going 30 inch barrel and the whole nine yards.until i went to that shoot i never really saw the point in spending a ton of money on a gun for just plinking metal but i have got into it enough to know that im going to give it a go!ive shot out to 1100 yards and am pretty decent with no wind but having more experience doping that wind and gaining confidence just seems to increase that effective range very quickly.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.