620 yd Wyoming WT Deer and Antelope

jimbo300

Here is a 9 pt. whitetail that I took in NW Wyoming in late October. Myself and "Mo" from LRH had decided to check out one of our honey hole ravine's. It was around 2 p.m. and we hoped to find some deer bedded below our vantage point. After about 20-30 minutes behind the spotting scope, I had located this buck, as well as a few does. We usually try to hold out for 140" or better bucks, but this was a nice looking buck and too good of a shot to pass up. My swaro rangefinder showed the buck was 620 yards away. While the wind had been gusting around 7 mph from 2 o'clock, while we were behind the spotting scope, it had practically stopped once I got settled behind my SSG built 300 RUM. When the 190 gr Berger VLD left the barrel you could hear it sizzling through the air, then came the sound of a very distinct wallop. The buck never moved from his bed.

Below is a photo taken from the buck's postion. The shot was taken from the tallest point in the background.

Here is a photo of my SSG built 300 RUM.

We also hunted antelope in central Wyoming, before we started our deer hunt. I had seen this buck the day before and noticed he was missing his right cutter, but he had good mass and was a really nice buck for the area. I was actually waiting for his does to get clear of him before shooting and was going to have an "easy" 400 or so yard shot at him. That is until a group of hunters stopped out on the road and decided to make a direct stalk on the herd. Note: this will NOT work if the antelope can see you. This move sent the herd in my direction at full speed. Once again I have no shot until the buck was about 30 yards away, due to being surrounded by his does and since my scope was on 15x I missed him clean as he sped by, but I managed to get a Berger VLD in him once he got out around 100 yards.

Last edited:

cinch

LRH Team Member
Nice work! Great story and pictures. What are the specs on your shooter?

jimbo300

Thanks cinch,

The specs are as follows:

Rem 700
Lilja 27" 12 twist chambered in 300 RUM
Brown Precision thumbhole stock
SSG muzzle break
Timmney trigger
Badger Ordnance 20 moa base
MWG rings
Nightforce 3.5-15X56
K-G Kote on action, barrel, base and rings by SSG
Bolt spiral fluted by SSG
and just added a Badger Ordnance tactical bolt knob

eddybo

WTG nice buck and goat, looks like yall had a great time.

Trending threads

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce