695 yd WT Deer

wolfclan1

I dont know if this qualifies as a long range shot or not but it was a bang flop. After hanging around this site for a couple of years, I ordered an HS Pro 2000 Varmint in .338 RUM in feb after saving for a couple of years and received it in Oct and worked up a load of 250 gr accubonds seated 20 thou off the lands, 99 grs of Retumbo, CCI Mag Primers. I generated a drop chart with the JBM ballistic calculator then went back to the range and confirmed the drops, the gun shot a tighter group at 300 yds than at 100 yds. I wonder if this is because of parallax. After three days of mountain goat hunting i decided to take it easy and do some deer hunting. Anyways I went out this morning and walked the benches above the Kootenay River and spotted this guy with four does down in a field. I found a spot to setup and lazered him at 695 yds then dialed up 49 clicks, then did some deep breathing to slow down the heart rate and then squeezed off a shot on an empty chamber the cross hairs were still on the target so i loaded up and fired, he took one step and went down. The bullet impacted 4" behind the left shoulder right where i was holding and damaged about 3 ounces of meat. Anyways i would like to thank all the members of this site for contributing their knowledge about long range shooting without it i wouldnt have taken this shot.

P1000781Small.jpg

P1000790Small.jpg

Congratulations on taking a fine buck.
Reading your post reminds me of sequence of events on many of the animals I took over the years.

Here are more pics of the shot and the gear used. I also have a clinometer to get the cosine angle and get the weather conditions from the airport and plug the numbers into JBM and print out a drop chart. Eventually i will purchase a Kestrel and a Palm with some ballistic software. Which of these products do you guys recommend so i can add them to my wish list.

google earth view of the shot
695_yds.jpg

view from the hide to the target
theshot.jpg

the equipment
equipment.jpg

Eventually i will purchase a Kestrel and a Palm with some ballistic software. Which of these products do you guys recommend so i can add them to my wish list.
I happen to use the 3500 Kestrel although you can get by with the 2500. I also use a Palm and just about any Palm will run the Exbal software and I believe just about any newer Pocket PC will run it also. You just have to order the software for the platform you plan on using, Palm or Pocket PC.

Go here and you'll get some good reading. Link--> http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f76/weather-meters-ballistics-software-palm-pc-28673/

Great story and great shot. It included all of the details I would have asked for. Nice buck too.

Last edited:
I use a kestrel 2500, and a palm zire running exbal. its a small program so 8 megs of memory will run it fine.
I just use the palm to save printing drop charts for all conditions, today between the 2 places I hunted the BP went from 30.6 to 27.8 due to altitude differences.
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.