6 to 8 months for a barrel

Tried to order a Benchmark but they didn't return email or phone call. Ordered a Pac-Nor. Quote was 12 weeks and has been about 21 weeks and still waiting. I think barrel makers have all the business they can handle.

I'll refrain from ordering or booking anything that far out. At my age, I might be taking a dirt nap when it arrives.

It pained me not to book a 2015 hunt with Len but it's too far out to plan on and my heirs aren't going anyway.:D

Interestingly, this year I could have booked a dual hunt on a cancellation but I didn't in as much as I'm headed to NM next month.

One a year is financially doable. 2 isn't.

Look around, many suppliers have barrels in stock if you have leeway on the profile. Brownell has Shillen and Douglas in stock. I bought a #3 contour .308 bore barrel from stock.

Now if you want a spiral fluted, gain twist, X contour, in 9.3 caliber your going to wait. Choices always choices.

My other suggestion is to order a replacement barrel when you build your custom rifle, especially in high volume, overbore cartridges. So if you take a year to put 1800 rounds through your 6.5-06 or 6.5-284, you'll have your replacement when needed.

I agree with jerry. I try to stay ahead of my personal consumption by keeping my own inventory and ordering a year in advance. I personally see more difference in the quality of the rifles and the way they shoot due to the smith than which companies barrel is on the gun. I have or have had personally Hart, Lilja, Krieger , Broughton, Brux, Douglas,Pac-Nor, and Shilen. Subtle differences, yes, but the biggest driver is still the accuracy and care getting the chamber and install correct. I am going to try a benchmark next from the special offer on this sight. Doing a 1-8 6XC. My point is don't limit yourself to just one magic tube maker, all of the above are proven and will provide you with a gun that will outshoot you if smithed correctly!gun)

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.