6 mm Remington

trueblue

Going to reload for a friend.
Not sure what bullet he wants to use, but wanted to get feedback on what load data/ bullet combination is popular in this caliber.
So, let me know your load data if you have a 6mm Remington.

You're going to want to know the twist, as there is more than one out there.

What is his intended use? Paper, Gophers, Coyotes, Deer/Antelope?

Brass has been a bit of a challenge to find. The factory ammo is down to one load the 100 grain Winchester Power Point, as near as I can tell.

Will have rifle in hand in a couple of weeks. Will check twist.
Not sure of intended use. Just trying to see what popular loads are out there.

I'm not sure, but I think the 1-12" twist most likely appears in the Remington 722.

The Remington 700's were likely 1-10" from the start.

As bullets have got longer, 9" and 7" are out there.

I've never thought much of bullets less than 70 grains for .243 diameter, and in my 1-10" twist I have not found a bullet 100 grains and up that shot as well as I like. A young fellow used the factory 100 grain Power Point to kill a small buck, not that it shoots terrible with those it's just much better with 95 and less.

Supply and demand will play a role, my favorite to just shoot is Sierra's 70 grain BlitzKing. Hornady has a 75 grain Vmax. Either of these work on coyotes, and paper.

I intend to try the 80 grain Hornady GMX, and the Nosler 90 grain Accubond. The Nosler 95 Partition is good on deer and antelope. Doesn't always give the most accuracy, but still a good bullet.

I've used mostly H4831 as it's always on the bench. Reloader 19 is good in the lighter bullets, Reloader 22 in the heavier weights. Superperformance is on the to try list. I used a bit of IMR 7228 sec and liked it. Especially with the Federal 215 primer. I just bought another pound of it to see if it worked as good as I remember.

Hopefully you'll find the components you want easily.

if its a 700 its not 1-12. For deer any cup and core 100 will get it done. Bullets like the sierra prohunter, speer hot core, nos bit, hornady interlock. For powder my favorite is 4350 but 4064 and re19 are also great choises

It's not a real good idea to reload for someone else, liability can come back to bite you in the butt. And even if it wasn't something you did wrong, trying to prove it in a civil court could be very difficult and expensive.

Aside from that, the load you develop should be structured around what he needs it for.

The older 244 Rem only had a 1-12" and wouldn't stabilize anything above a 90 gr. bullet, and that was pushing it, I know, I've loaded for some of those slower twist barrels. So measure the twist first, then present the bullet weight options to your friend.

As for a hunting rig and even a good paper puncher, a 100 gr. will produce great accuracy, and have plenty to drop deer. Powders I like are RL19, RL22, IMR-4350, H4831 and a few others have worked quite well. But of those, I really prefer RL19 when I can find it these days. With RL22, I had best results with a CCI-250. It's not necessarily a must, but it produced much better groups and efficient burn in the loads I've developed with it.

Do a little data research and once you settle on a load just start at a reasonable place in the table usually best if you start above minimum, but below mid table. If you are seating up close or into the lands, don't start your charge above mid table or you might encounter some excessive pressures.

MB

I helped a friend make a load for his 6mm Rem. Used RL-17 and 100 gr nosler partition. 45 gr yielded a stunning 3300 fps from his 24" barrel @ 70 F. I'd say start around 41 or 42 gr and work up.

Alliant lists 44 grs as max with a 100 gr speer bt so work up to max carefully.

I run a 12" twist 6mmAI (my mistake on the slow twist). The 85-90 grainers with a 210m & 4831 run 3500fps & usually group in the .3's. Granted, this is an ackley but pressures are still well within the "sane" realm. Brass life has proven very long.

t

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.