6 mm Data!

mrussell

I am looking at building a 6 mm rifle. I have been looking at the sierra reloading book, but I would like to have the PD's explode at 300 yds. What do you think would be a good load for this mission? Also, what is the thought on the distance this cartridge is able to kill at? I am looking at the deer size game?

I also have one more question. When developing loads handloading has it advantage of making the loads go over the max. I know that some rifles shoot better with higher velocity. So, how do you know that you are at a safe pressure and able to keep the grains up over the books max?
I am have seen some pictures of people blowing up guns due to this, but not many and I don't want to become on more picture for everyone to laugh at.

want-a-be
1. If you are just shooting PD's a 70 grain bullet would prbably do you best for that 300 yard range, you will need to work a load up a given powder/bullet combo. You did not mention rate of twist you are planning on using.

2. For deer I use a 95 grain Ballistic Tip in my .243Win.
using AA3100 powder.

3. The rifle and the loads accuracy, with your abilities
to hit a distant target CONSISTANTLY should be your
determining factor with expected impact energy
remaining.

4. You need a chronograph! Buy the Lyman reloading manual
they have good reading in there and some good loads.
You need to educate yourself on pressure reading.

5. Be Careful! Have Fun!

[ QUOTE ]
I am looking at building a 6 mm rifle. I have been looking at the sierra reloading book, but I would like to have the PD's explode at 300 yds. What do you think would be a good load for this mission? Also, what is the thought on the distance this cartridge is able to kill at? I am looking at the deer size game?

[/ QUOTE ]

The 6mm Rem is a good choice. For exploding PD's at 300yds, try the Sierra 55gr BlitzKing or the Hornady 58 V-Max.

You can use these bullets with a 14" or 12" twist, but I would strongly recommend that you get a 9" twist, cuz once you have whacked a few at 300yds, then 500 and 800 will look doable, and for that you will need the 70gr BlitzKing, or the 87gr V-Max.

thanks for all,
I am looking at the 6 mm due to the digger case more powder.
Also, I have my mind set on the rem 700 VLS, it has a 9 1/8 twist, a 26" heavy contor barrel. I have bought from a guy at work 1000 85 grain sp from winchester, aslo 200 100grain sp from hornady. I thought I would take this barrel and this next year shoot it and see what the gun can do, then next year put a match grade barrel to shoot 1000yd. I also was looking at shooting the hunting class in comp.
I also was looking at the latest issue of varmint hunter mag. and they have a article on JLK'S bullets. www.swampworks.com and they were talking alot on the .224 bullets and the high B.C. they have. they have some in all cal. including the .243 105gr with a b.c. of .560.
I like the sierra's but I am up to trying new things, anybody try them.
For those of you who shoot the 6mm or .243 or .234AI what is the longest distance you have connected on game(PD's, coyotes, deer, etc.)
but my next problem is.
I have a 22-250 and I am thinking of selling it when I get this rifle done, and replace it for my main coyote and pd gun. But, I love the 250 due to the velocity and no kick, I can shoot it all day and not get tired of it.

Which 6MM you have in mind. Is it 243 or 6MM Remington. 6MM BR or PPC perhaps. Any one of these cartridges are excellent for varminting. Any bullet you have mentioned are good to go with your barrel twist. I have a Sako Forrester 243 and a 6MM Remington Custom Mauser with Shilen barrel.Both have 10 twist barrel. I used 87 grain V-Max on the 6 exclusively for varmints and 100 grain Speer Grand Slam for the 243 on deer.

If your talking a 6mm rem, I shoot the 70gr NBT for 600yrd f-class. They are amazing on PD if you like the red mist. They hold .25 MOA at 300yr.
I use IMR4831 48gr, Rem brass and Fedral primers. Also the 71gr Begers have shot well.

Hi your 6mm Rem 700 VLS will shoot any VLD type projectile yo to 90gr so give some hiugh BC 90gr VLD's a go and they will make 1000 yards with velocity to spare.

I use 55gr BlitzKings in the same rifle but it was a 243 and i set the barrel back and rechambered it to 6mmBR the 55's are leaving at 3400fps and have shot it past 600 yards with that load also the barrel has been choped to 22" to maki it a little handier with a Noveske KX3 Flash Suppresor that i just fitted today.

Cheers Bill
Australia

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.