6.5x55 swed mauser.

R McNair

Greetings all.
Currently been loading sierra 140g SPBT and 100gr hp varmet in Norma brass. Primers, I'm not sure of now. . Rifle is a 6.5x55 Carl Gustav, synth stock, 3-9x40 scope

I'm wanting a reasonable all round projectile for small and semi large game.
By semi large I mean NZ Red deer, by small I mean goat, small deer breeds, Thar.
I was thinking of the 120 grain Ballistic Tip and putting it at about the 2900fps.
NZ Wapiti or Wapiti/red cross may be too big for the 6.5 but it comes down to placing your shot I guess.

From various forums I have looked at they are saying
120gr using RL19-imr4350-h4350 go get about 3000fps
This seems to be a fairly popular load arrangement for my rifle type, offering good groupings out to 200-300 yards, while good know down ability.

What are your thoughts??
What would be the largest game you'd use the 120gr on?

Regards
Richard

My husky m38 loves the 140 game kings in front of 46 grains of rl22 with rem 91/2 primers.
And also
140sst's with 47 grains of mrp same. .015 off of the lands. I never tried the lighter bullets, but the 140's are hog murderers the game kings are giving 1/2" groups at 100, the sst's just under an inch

I have a number of these military Swede Mausers in different models as well as one that has been sported out. One thing to keep in mind is that they are small ring Mausers that should be limited to 46000 CUP loads. Plus they average 100 years old. You did not say what length barrel you have. The Model 96 had 29" and 38 24" and the carbine 18". The sporter rifle that I built out of a 96 that someone had already started hacking on still has the 29" barrel. The reason that I left it that long is because with under 46000 CUP loads it still will get high velocity. I have killed a bunch of white tail deer that average 100 lb doe and 150 lb buck. I have used the 120 gr Sierra SP and Nosler BT with 46 grs Accurate 4350, Rem case, Fed 210 Match primer, COAL 3.050 which is as long as can be loaded and work through the magazine. These rifles have a loooooooog throat. I average 3000 fps with this load. I also have used 140 Sierra SP and Hornady Interlock with 45 grs Accurate 4350, Rem case, Fed. 210 Match primer, COAL 3.050 and get 2800 fps. These loads are super accurate, well under MOA. They kill deer BANG FLOP. I have killed deer out to a little over 300 yards with both loads with all the bullets and the results are the same on game BANG FLOP but I also usually take shoulder shots. I can only remember of one deer that ran off and it was a small about 60lb doe. Shot with the 140 Sierra SP broad side through the ribs just behind the shoulder, heart shot, at 90 yards. It ran about 50 yards which is typical of a heart shot deer. :D If you have a 24" barrel your velocity should be around 2800 fps with 120s and 2600 with 140s with these loads. According to the Accurate Manual these are MAX loads and are just under 46000 CUP. I have not used the 130 Nosler Accubond in my 6.5x55 Swede but have used it in my 264 Win mag 27 3/4" nine twist barrel at 3350 fps. It is a awesome bullet. I have shot deer from 25 to just over 500 yards BANG FLOP, with the same results. It flies like the BT, starts to open up like the BT but holds together like the partition and keeps on trucking. I really think that for your intended use the 130 or 140 gr Nosler Accubond would be a great choice.

At the ranges you are likely to shoot a milsurp '96, I think it would be hard to beat the 140 Nosler Partition as an all around bullet. Generally speaking, I can't think of a good reason to use anything other than the 140 class bullets in a 6.5x55.

As for load data, my personal opinion is that SAAMI data for the 6.5x55 is needlessly anemic. CIP data is much more reasonable. I recommend that you use Norma or Vihtavuori data as your starting point.

Reloader 26 powder and 140 grain Hornady A-Max . . .this was a match made in heaven for the O'le Swede! ! ! It will cover the full spectrum of what you have to hunt over there, except for maybe some of them nasty buffs. Good luck with a great cartridge!

If you want some great reading on what can be done with modern powders and pressures and the new bullets available this is the thread for you! On the first post there is a link to the original thread with even more info.

Just be careful in this thread they talk about both the standard swede and the improved swede so be careful if you are looking for load data.

THE Modern 6.5x55 Swede Users Thread - 1 - SnipersHide.com Forums - Scout

HTH,

Scot E.

It is all right to up the pressure IN A MODERN ACTION 6.5x55 Swede but NOT IN A SMALL RING MAUSER like the OP has unless you want to take the chance of blowing it up or damaging the locking lugs. Unless your yardage is going to be over 400 yards you don't need more than the under 46000 CUP 2650 to 2700 fps you can get out of a 24" barrel with 140 gr bullets to shoot stem to stern through a deer size animal. Those long bullets just keep on mushrooming and plowing through flesh.

It is all right to up the pressure IN A MODERN ACTION 6.5x55 Swede but NOT IN A SMALL RING MAUSER like the OP has unless you want to take the chance of blowing it up or damaging the locking lugs. Unless your yardage is going to be over 400 yards you don't need more than the under 46000 CUP 2650 to 2700 fps you can get out of a 24" barrel with 140 gr bullets to shoot stem to stern through a deer size animal. Those long bullets just keep on mushrooming and plowing through flesh.

Yikes, I thought I added that info to my post. Guess I forgot. Yes, the new data in the post I listed is for modern actions only, NOT MAUSERS!

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.