Old 6.5x55 Mauser

Eric H

My relative has an old Mauser with a 4-digit serial number that was gifted to him. Should he shoot modern ammo or do reduced loads due to the age of the firearm?

US manufacturers have already loaded down their 6.5x55 loads, though any old firearm with questionable history should be inspected by a qualified person before shooting.

As for handloading, the same applies to all loading data you are going to get from north american sources (Hornady, Sierra, Nosler etc).

Some European resources are reputed to be hotter, but in my experience, the powder choices and bullet selection you will get from say Norma are pretty useless for most USA hunters.

So in essence, use book load or factory and if the gun it still in good shape, your relative should be OK. Lots of old Mausers have liberal headspace. Learn not to full length resize, lest you run into case separation and early case death. I have an 1894 Oberndorf (Made in Sweden, Mauser design, same steel in both). Gorgeous bore still after all these years, shoots MOA with right loads. Sad someone sporterized it. Though it has a cool 1950's Reinhardt Fajen stock....

I also load for a modern 6.5x55 Tikka. I am on my own mostly. WAAYY beyond book, using QuickLoad and looking for pressure signs. Blows the doors off creedmore. Don't try this with an old Mauser!!!!

US manufacturers have already loaded down their 6.5x55 loads, though any old firearm with questionable history should be inspected by a qualified person before shooting.

As for handloading, the same applies to all loading data you are going to get from north american sources (Hornady, Sierra, Nosler etc).

Some European resources are reputed to be hotter, but in my experience, the powder choices and bullet selection you will get from say Norma are pretty useless for most USA hunters.

So in essence, use book load or factory and if the gun it still in good shape, your relative should be OK. Lots of old Mausers have liberal headspace. Learn not to full length resize, lest you run into case separation and early case death. I have an 1894 Oberndorf (Made in Sweden, Mauser design, same steel in both). Gorgeous bore still after all these years, shoots MOA with right loads. Sad someone sporterized it. Though it has a cool 1950's Reinhardt Fajen stock....

I also load for a modern 6.5x55 Tikka. I am on my own mostly. WAAYY beyond book, using QuickLoad and looking for pressure signs. Blows the doors off creedmore. Don't try this with an old Mauser!!!!
Oh you might be surprised, those old small ring Swedish made mausers have some Of the best Steel and heat treating . Play it safe , a good one can be loaded above what the manuals say . That's where experience and the condition of the rifle comes too play. I have a 95 and 2 -96 s been loading them for many years no problem. Most Swedish mausers are in excellent shape . Kimber put there name on a few that was sporterized.

'96 Mausers are to be kept I believe below 40,000 psi. If you want or need a faster 6.5X55 get a current production name brand rifle.

I'd use loads data for curio relic military rifles. I'd be more careful with a Krag than a Swedish Mauser.

'96 Mausers are to be kept I believe below 40,000 psi. If you want or need a faster 6.5X55 get a current production name brand rifle.
This one is a relatives rifle but I'm seriously looking at getting one. Now if I can find an action from a modern gun I'll put a barrel on it and let it ride. That was a strange twist of the old ones; 1:8.66. I've read other places that it was 1:79. I had the chance to buy one with the Gaustaff name back in 88 with matching numbers for $175 and listened to my better half at the time and didn't. Still kicking myself. Killed a Whitetail with it and it was a true tackdriver at 100yards open sights.

The fit and finish of Swedish made mausers are second to none ....
An old gunsmith was rechambering M96`s to...6.5x284 with no problems.
If I remember rite they had a 29'' barrel and 7 twist.

This one is a relatives rifle but I'm seriously looking at getting one. Now if I can find an action from a modern gun I'll put a barrel on it and let it ride. That was a strange twist of the old ones; 1:8.66. I've read other places that it was 1:79. I had the chance to buy one with the Gaustaff name back in 88 with matching numbers for $175 and listened to my better half at the time and didn't. Still kicking myself. Killed a Whitetail with it and it was a true tackdriver at 100yards open sights.
They are 1-7.5 , I'm not telling you too load this , but my pet load is 47 grs of H4350 with the 125 gr Nosler Partition and a cci250 . I have started loading Hammers exclusively and now using N560 . I have a load for my carbine with the 109 Hammer absolute that literally has 13 in of rifling not counting chamber and I'm right at 2800 fps , no pressure easy bolt lift. You will not get in trouble with the 96 loading according too the manuals I'm a very experienced hand loader and know when not too push the limits The 93 mausers are built about the same but just didn't have the heat treating the Swedish mausers have . According too PO Ackley the small ring mausers blow up at about the same as the 98s they don't have the 3rd safety lug and the bolt is not as secure in the blow up tests .reguardless of this post be careful loading any older Mauser , some are better than others , there can be issues headspace , fatigued metal from a lot of use ,corision ,set back on the lugs and what I cal Tinkeritis . Good luck on your shooting.

BTW.... I have a couple of M96 barrels in the white... chambered and threaded....
Swedish mil.surplus..
if you folks need a new one...
125$ shipped....

BTW.... I have a couple of M96 barrels in the white... chambered and threaded....
Swedish mil.surplus..
if you folks need a new one...
125$ shipped....
I had some of those too , they are shooters , old world craftsmanship , beautiful rifling , Bill I checked mine and they are showing 1-7.5 twist . Realistically they are probably metric some weird in between number but shows 1-7.5 twist carbine and the rifle barrels. They stabilized the military 150 some od grain bullets.

'96 Mauser, sport bolt handle, Winchester safety, new barrel. I load for it but happen to be shooting factory this day. Absolutely knocks WT off their feet.

Attachments

• 6.5X55 tsrget  11 23 14 003.JPG
    6.5X55 tsrget 11 23 14 003.JPG
    448.5 KB · Views: 30

Recent Posts