6.5x55 Swede

This seems like a situation tailor made for RL-17 and 140 class bullets.

While I only modeled it in QL, then compared it to my 260 and published data for sanity check, IMO RL-17 doesn't quite work out, to much unused case capacity for me. I like RL-17, it's in my 338/26-Nosler and is amazing there.

Reports/posts on accurateshooter are that the competitive shooters tried RL-17 and went back to H4350.

I normally prefer H4831 and RL-22 for my Swede, but I am using a 26" barrel. My thinking is that the RL-17 might work slightly better than the 4350's for this because of its shorter pressure rise time, getting better performance from a short barrel.

If RL-17 doesn't work out, RL-22 or IMR 7828SSC might be worth a try.

ETA: According to QL, if loading to a MAP 55,114 psi, IMR 7828SSC is ideal, reaching OBT @ 1.075ms for an 18" barrel just below max with 98+% load density. RL-22 does the same thing at 101% load density. RL-17 reaches OBT near max, but around 88% load density vs 94% for H4350, so I can see how the 4350's might be preferred in that burn rate range. However, the 4350's produce quite a bit less velocity, so it might be worth it to see what real world results actually look like before making the call.

Last edited:
I'm looking for loads for my 6.5x55 Swede with 18in barrel
I didn't have much luck with IMR 4831
but I have a decent load for CFE-223 under 120gr Sierra MK HPBT

Is your Swede a small ring mauser or a modern action? That will have a big effect on the pressure level you can safely load to, which may also have a sizeable effect on which powders will work best.

It's a small ring Mauser
1904 Carl Gustav in a sporter stock
& yes I realize that the modern guns are probably stronger but I also know that the Swedish steel was Much Better than anything the Germans had

It's a small ring Mauser
1904 Carl Gustav in a sporter stock
& yes I realize that the modern guns are probably stronger but I also know that the Swedish steel was Much Better than anything the Germans had

I am a fan of the old mausers. A good friend of mine has a Carl Gustav that is being made into a .257 Roberts. I think it will be a sweet little rifle.

There is a lot of debate about the strength of the '94-'96 mausers. I believe the current pressure limits for them are well on the conservative side. My Swede is built on a commercial '98, made with modern steel. I load it to .308 level pressures with excellent results. I wasn't about to advise you to do the same, however, unless I knew you were loading for a '98 mauser or stronger action. I just don't feel comfortable making recommendations like that.

As it is, you can obtain very good results with the powders I mentioned above and remain well within CIP guidelines, which should still give you a substantial safety margin.

Thx for your replies benchracer
I'll grab some IMR 7828SSC when I can find it
If you wouldn't mind please run 41.5gr of CFE-223 under 120gr Sierra MK thru QL to see what the pressure is,,,, it's been very accurate for my limited experience

Thx for your replies benchracer
I'll grab some IMR 7828SSC when I can find it
If you wouldn't mind please run 41.5gr of CFE-223 under 120gr Sierra MK thru QL to see what the pressure is,,,, it's been very accurate for my limited experience

One has to be careful with QL. I have found it important to measure fired case capacity, combine that info with the COAL you are using, and input that data for more accurate info. It is also important to use a chronograph to cross reference known velocity against the data projected by QL. I have generally found the predicted velocity at max pressure to be correct, but there can be substantial discrepancies in the powder charge required to get there. Without more specific data, QL is best treated as a "get you in the ballpark" tool.

QL predicts a velocity of 2526 fps from an 18" barrel @ 42,896 psi. You still have a lot of headroom under the CIP limit to find a higher node. There should be another node just above 2600 fps, which will still have you well below 50,000 psi. The next node should appear just above the CIP limit around 2780 fps or so. I would advise you to work up carefully to find your max, then look for an accurate load below that point.

Your current load density is down around 74% and you will reach CIP pressure limits around 80%, which really indicates that a slower powder would be a better choice.

ETA: 7828 SSC should give you an accuracy node right around 2800 fps and very near CIP max, with a load density around 101% (very slightly compressed), which looks to be very close to ideal.

thx again benchracer
I was worried I might be stressing the action
I'll work it up slowly until I can find some 7828 SSC
I've got some 130 & 140 Noslers to work with next

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I started my sons big game hunting at age 10 (now 26 and 23) with a M1894 Carl Gustav carbine (18" barrel) in 6.5x 55 Swedish Mauser. Not a collector item but quite the shooter.

P4061708_zps00ea9f4f.jpg

First time reloading for it. Loaded 4 and the result below is very promising (very good baseline to improve upon) ...

140NAB65x55_zps6aab56c5.jpg

In comparison, I shot five factory 140gr Corelokts to measure the velocities ...

X = 2262 FPS
SD = 33.61

I didn't take a picture of the group but it's over 1.5" at 100 yards.
[/FONT]

[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]I started my sons big game hunting at age 10 (now 26 and 23) with a M1894 Carl Gustav carbine (18" barrel) in 6.5x 55 Swedish Mauser. Not a collector item but quite the shooter.

P4061708_zps00ea9f4f.jpg

First time reloading for it. Loaded 4 and the result below is very promising (very good baseline to improve upon) ...

In comparison, I shot five factory 140gr Corelokts to measure the velocities ...

X = 2262 FPS
SD = 33.61

[/FONT]

That's impressive performance and an excellent example of what an old mauser, shooting an "obsolete" cartridge can do! I love it!

thx again benchracer
I was worried I might be stressing the action
I'll work it up slowly until I can find some 7828 SSC
I've got some 130 & 140 Noslers to work with next

Another thing to keep in mind is that, a combination looking good in QL is no guarantee your rifle will like it. Sometimes a primer change can make a difference. Sometimes not. A person just has to be willing to experiment a bit to see what is possible.

I already noticed an accuracy increase with the Win primers compared to the CCIs,,,, loaded a few last night with IMR4931 just for giggles & grins,,, just seems to overload the case,,, most anything over 46gr seems to be compressed

A lot of my loads for various rifles are compressed or very close to it. I have found using a powder funnel with a drop tube to be very helpful in that regard. Using a drop tube, I can often get quite a bit more powder into the case or avoid compressed loads altogether.

P4061708_zps00ea9f4f.jpg

X = 2262 FPS
SD = 33.61

[/FONT]

Very Nice Feenix
Looks like mine except mine is in a Monte Carlo stock

I'm using the droptube & it does help Benchracer, but I'm not real comfortable with compressed loads even though I know it's more efficient to have a full case

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.