6,5x55 dies

trazman

I am getting a new barrel for my blaser rifle in 6,5x55. Which dies do you think i should get? I was thinking of forster benchrest...

I have really been happy with Redding S Dies. Their micro adjust seating dies makes for perfectly repeatable seating depths off the base to ogive measurement. And I like the bushing option on the sizing die if one needs to mess with neck tension etc.

Scot E.

Forster and Redding both make excellant seater dies. If they're "worth it" or not depends on the potential accuracy of the rig, the shooter, the skill/knowledge of the loader and how well he can develop a good shooting load. What I mean without a lot of case work is there's no significant accuracy benefit over common dies which are, after all, quite good. There's a LOT more to a good seater die than a simple micrometer depth adjustment screw top. Actually they are mildly helpful during initial set-up but I really don't much care if my own good seaters have mic tops or not.

I wouldn't deal with the agravation with the current fad of "neck bushing" sizers for a SAAMI chambered rifle if they were selling at half price. A body die and a Lee Collet neck sizer takes care of my accuracy resizing work quite well.

Forster and Redding both make excellant seater dies. If they're "worth it" or not depends on the potential accuracy of the rig, the shooter, the skill/knowledge of the loader and how well he can develop a good shooting load. What I mean without a lot of case work is there's no significant accuracy benefit over common dies which are, after all, quite good. There's a LOT more to a good seater die than a simple micrometer depth adjustment screw top. Actually they are mildly helpful during initial set-up but I really don't much care if my own good seaters have mic tops or not.

I wouldn't deal with the agravation with the current fad of "neck bushing" sizers for a SAAMI chambered rifle if they were selling at half price. A body die and a Lee Collet neck sizer takes care of my accuracy resizing work quite well.

Interesting perspective. I would be interested to hear how you get consistent base to ogive measurements on your reloads without a micro seater. Not saying it can't be done I just haven't seen a way that accomplishes it as quickly and easily.

Scot E.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.