6.5x47 Lapua vs 260 Remington

I've got both, same barrel brand, twist, & length. The 260 has an extended Wyatts internal box magazine, the 6.5x47 runs AICS magazines.

Loaded for accuracy, my nodes with the same bullet/same powder were at the nearly the same velocity, with a slight edge in velocity for the X47 (independent load work-up). The x47 reaches this node with approximately 1 grain less powder.

The overall accuracy of the X47 is better (Stiller action on the X47, Defiance Deviant on the 260) and load work up was much easier (more forgiving, wider accuracy nodes) with the X47.

At 3 - 4 reloads I began seeing donuts in the 260 brass neck/shoulder junction. No donuts yet in the x47 brass with 3 reloads. I can only barely seat the 130 gr AR Hybrids in front of the neck/shoulder junction on the 260. I can easily seat most bullets with the bearing surface ahead of the neck/shoulder junction on the X47.

I built the 260 first. After much deliberation I chose that caliber (with a long throat and extended box mag) for the added velocity 'potential' since this was to be used for hunting up to & including elk. I bought the x47 as my PRS match rifle because I have wanted a 6.5x47 Lapua since the day it came out.

Had I known then, what I know now, they'd both be X47's.

I was getting ready to ask with the 140's and .005 off the lands how does it work in a s/a 700? I do have an extra wyatt box in my cabinet.

I run mine in an AICS detachable mag system, and I use Alpha type II magazines, I can run up to 2.965" long rounds. I did mill out about 1/16" of my feed ramp to allow rounds that long to feed, for when I rebarrel my rifle and have it throated a little longer.

Rymart what bullet are you using for hunting with your X47? I just built my second X47 as a light weight hunter and can't decide on a bullet. I was going to try the 127 LRX but have heard some mixed reviews on it nor expanding very well. Now I am thinking of staying with the 130 Berger or going with the 130 AccuBond. Shots will be close with most being out of tree stands on whitetail.

Rymart what bullet are you using for hunting with your X47? I just built my second X47 as a light weight hunter and can't decide on a bullet.

The X47 is my match gun, so I haven't taken it hunting yet... I've used the 130 gr AR-Hybrids in it for matches, and in the 260 for hunting. My best summary of the 130 AR Hybrid as a hunting round is 'explosive'. They've taken one elk, 3 deer, and a few antelope. Deadly, but explosive in all cases.

I'm currently using the 143 ELD-X with the 260. One antelope and one elk, both with good results. Good penetration, not too explosive so far.

I'd be interested in hearing about your 47L build when you get it together.

Right now it's going to be Remington 700 or stiller tac 30, benchmark or bartlein medium palma/sendero contour, 1:7.5 twist, already have the manners t5, jewel trigger and badger bottom metal for it. Just need the action and barrel. I can get the barrel tomorrow if wanted but I'm focused on trying to swing a deal right now for a stiller tac 30.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.