6.5x47 Lapua vs 260 Remington

N2TRKYS

The 6.5x47 is intriguing me for some reason. However, everything I read says that it doesn't do anything that the 260 Rem can't. In all fairness, that can be said about a lot of calibers. Lol

So, if you were building a rifle, which caliber would you choose and why?

The rifle will be used to punch paper and maybe a whitetail.

Thanks

With same length barrels, the .260 will slightly outperform the 6.5x47, but the difference is marginal, and in ballistics almost neglegable. Lapua brass available for both, cost of components very similar. With longer bullets in a Remington factory rifle the 260 will have OAL issues, but if you have a long savage magazine or plan on doing a wyatts internal box or AICS, then the 260 would be a little better imo. But, the 6.5x47 has a better shoulder which will aid in less trimming. However....

You could go .260 ai and have a MUCH better performing cartridge than either....if you reload and don't mind forming brass, which isn't a big deal.

My .260 ai is shooting 140 berger's at 3140 with rl26, and I can get 3025 with H4831SC. That's topped out. My go to load with the berger 140 and H4831sc is 2930, and I just worked up loads with rl26, and from 3040 fps all the way up to 3140 fps groups were in the .2's to .4's and my SD was single digits and es was 13 fps or less, the lowest was 7. This was only 3 shot groups, but it still looked very promising to shoot 5 different charges and have the largest group fall in the .4's....Needless to say I'm biased towards the .260 ai.

The one thing that 6.547L will do that the 260 Rem. can't is mag load with bullets seated long. That is what it was designed for.

If you seat the same bullet to the same depth in a 260 it will not mag load (standard short action).

If you seat the 260 to max OAL lentgh and the 6.5x47L to optimum length the performance difference is not so pronounced.

There really is very little between them as both are known to be accurate. I went with 260. I've never tried Lapua 260 brass. Before it was available I necked up Lapua 243 brass and have been using the same 100 casings for several years.

They are very similar. I went with the 6.5X47 mainly just to be different. So far I am very happy with my decision. As mentioned a 260 AI will step up the performance.

With same length barrels, the .260 will slightly outperform the 6.5x47, but the difference is marginal, and in ballistics almost neglegable. Lapua brass available for both, cost of components very similar. With longer bullets in a Remington factory rifle the 260 will have OAL issues, but if you have a long savage magazine or plan on doing a wyatts internal box or AICS, then the 260 would be a little better imo. But, the 6.5x47 has a better shoulder which will aid in less trimming. However....

You could go .260 ai and have a MUCH better performing cartridge than either....if you reload and don't mind forming brass, which isn't a big deal.

My .260 ai is shooting 140 berger's at 3140 with rl26, and I can get 3025 with H4831SC. That's topped out. My go to load with the berger 140 and H4831sc is 2930, and I just worked up loads with rl26, and from 3040 fps all the way up to 3140 fps groups were in the .2's to .4's and my SD was single digits and es was 13 fps or less, the lowest was 7. This was only 3 shot groups, but it still looked very promising to shoot 5 different charges and have the largest group fall in the .4's....Needless to say I'm biased towards the .260 ai.

If you remember I'm currently doing the 260 ai build just waiting for a reamer. One thing I forgot was how long is your 260 ai barrel and appreciate some of your data. I just received today a box of berger 140 hunting vlds and 100 round box of 260 laupa brass. Now just debating dies.

If you remember I'm currently doing the 260 ai build just waiting for a reamer. One thing I forgot was how long is your 260 ai barrel and appreciate some of your data. I just received today a box of berger 140 hunting vlds and 100 round box of 260 laupa brass. Now just debating dies.

It was 30", but I just had a brake installed and had the smith trim 1" off so it would still fit in my bag, so it is now a 29" barrel, and that is where I got my rl26 velocities from.

I'll p.m. you my data

The 6.5x47 is intriguing me for some reason. However, everything I read says that it doesn't do anything that the 260 Rem can't. In all fairness, that can be said about a lot of calibers. Lol

So, if you were building a rifle, which caliber would you choose and why?

The rifle will be used to punch paper and maybe a whitetail.

Thanks

If using an internal 2.8" box with long ogive VLD type bullets, I far prefer the x47. You can get buy with a .260 and VLD type bullets if using proper freebore length and a longer box like a Wyatt or AICS.

John

I went with the 260 for the simple fact that if/when I want to upgrade to the AI I have that option.

That is a good point, you can't get any more performance out of a 6.5x47, they are already very efficient. But if you get a .260, and decide you want more performance, you can always ream it to A.I. and you already have the brass to fireform.

My .260 ai has the standard SAAMI spec throat, and 140 vld's are 2.895" ish depending on the tip at .005" off the lands. That's after 800 ish rounds, it used to be 2.885" at .005" off, to give you an approximate idea on what would be necessary for mag length.

I was getting ready to ask with the 140's and .005 off the lands how does it work in a s/a 700? I do have an extra wyatt box in my cabinet.

I was in the exact same boat a couple years back. I really wanted the 6.5x47 lapua just cause it intrigued me as well. After speaking to my gunsmiths, and a few experienced buddies they told me all to go with 260. Rem as I had little experience in precision shooting, still practicing on reloading, easier to find the components plus factory ammo if ever needed.

My 260. Rem is has a 26" benchmark 1:8 twist barrel pushing 140HVLD's 2885, and the 140 hybrids at 2830 and 2910 without any pressure signs. The rifle is the best shooting rifle I've ever seen and I'm extremely happy with the 260. Rem. 2 complaints about it, the hybrids shoot best .005 though off lands leaving me to single feed rifle, so overall length of cartridge can be a hassle, and #2 I'm still curious about the 6.5x47!! Lol

So I decided to start piecing together a 6x47lapua and I feel so much better now lol

I was in the exact same boat a couple years back. I really wanted the 6.5x47 lapua just cause it intrigued me as well. After speaking to my gunsmiths, and a few experienced buddies they told me all to go with 260. Rem as I had little experience in precision shooting, still practicing on reloading, easier to find the components plus factory ammo if ever needed.

My 260. Rem is has a 26" benchmark 1:8 twist barrel pushing 140HVLD's 2885, and the 140 hybrids at 2830 and 2910 without any pressure signs. The rifle is the best shooting rifle I've ever seen and I'm extremely happy with the 260. Rem. 2 complaints about it, the hybrids shoot best .005 though off lands leaving me to single feed rifle, so overall length of cartridge can be a hassle, and #2 I'm still curious about the 6.5x47!! Lol

So I decided to start piecing together a 6x47lapua and I feel so much better now lol

I'd be interested in hearing about your 47L build when you get it together.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.