6.5x300 win mag

marvee

currently have 6.5x300 win mag built off a browning a-bolt with a 26 inch barrel. wanting to put a suppresor on it. cannot find the pressures of it. does anybody know what it might be? a regular 300 win mag is 60,000 psi. be shooting 129 gr and 140 gr bullets.

Your suppressor will need to be rated for magnum rifles of at least .264cal and that's all you really need to worry about. There's a practical limit in that brass has its limits. If you're loading those 6.5's to a sane pressure level that doesnt' beat the hell out of your brass then you're not likely going to see chamber pressures much above 65,000psi. Just because the hole through the barrel is small doesn't mean peak pressure necessarily goes up.

thanks for feedback. bought a Gem Tek Tracker rated for 300 win mag. yet when i talked to them (gem tek) he told me not to use it on this gun. pressures were not known. my question to him was where do i find this pressure or where to take it to find pressure. he had no answer. the everyday shooter can't afford the high tec equipment and saami does not do all wildcats. i did find info on 6.5x300 wetherby, it has 64,500 psi using a 26 inch brl. a standard 300 win mag has 60,000 psi.

That alone would bother me. If they're doing things right they should be able to calculate a reasonable muzzle pressure and total gas volume so they should be able to KNOW without much doubt how much their suppressor can handle.

Your tracker should be rated to .300WM on a 24" barrel (barrel length matters) so if you're at or over 24" barrel on your 6.5 and you don't load like a nutter then I don't see a problem.

I'm not an expert on suppressors per se' but these concepts are of pressure, volume, temperature and material strength aren't limited to applications that involve rifle barrels.

well it has a 26 inch brl, and i will load to find best results. i agree and think it will work, but makes you wonder with what he says (gem tek). all he did was google it with no results.

That's kinda what I'm figuring. I would expect someone there to be using an internal ballistics calculator to get muzzle pressure and gas volume estimates but apparently not.

You get this information from QuickLoad.
There is really nothing better.

But chamber pressures are normally independent of barrel length, and chamber pressures are not directly meaningful to muzzle pressures, and chamber pressures are not set based on cartridge(any cartridge). YOU set chamber pressures with YOUR load.

If you desire 58Kpsi peak chamber pressure, and <10Kpsi muzzle pressure, and <10% of powder burning beyond the muzzle, pick up QuickLoad and 'what-if' loads to get it.
I would think a better suppressor maker would know their product functional and hard limits. In this case, with such a short barrel for such an overbore cartridge, the maker may have concerns of secondary pressure peaks compromising function and integrity of his product. This is a situation where barrel length can actually affect chamber pressures. In other words -a very bad design.

An example seen with RSI PressureTrace:

Attachments

• RSI_PT.jpg
    RSI_PT.jpg
    27.7 KB · Views: 99
thank you. i ordered quickload yesterday. could you please use your quickload and check this caliber? 6.5x300 win mag, 26 inch barrel, 75.5 grs. retumbo, 123 gr bullet @3508 fps. thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.