My brother won a 6.5X300 Wby

....Have him consider using the money saved by winning the rifle on a couple of new barrels. ;) I don't think that they will last very long, if shot a lot!...But, should be a blast (pun intended) while it lasts! Hope that he enjoys his new rifle! Congratulations Again! memtb....

Never look a gift rifle in the throat!

On the practical side the Hammers dial in in fewer rounds than most.

Let me start by saying I am not a fan of the 6.5. Never have been never will be. That being said my brother won this rifle and being a reloading nut case, I want to help him find some loads. Looked in my current batch of reloading manuals and can't find a load. Sooooo
HELP!
I believe that the best bullet for this cartridge will be the 140 class of bullets. No elk with this rifle, probably mostly deer, antelope and coyotes.
I think, given the case capacity, that some of the really slow powders, RL26, H1000, IMR7828, Retumbo, etc. are going to be the best mix. Magnum primers to start it.
I am going to go to Quickload and see if there is a way to come up with a safe load.
Thanks to everyone in advance for any help.
being a .300 necked down to a 6.5 I might start with a heavier bullet for that caliber as the 6.5x284 I use a 140 and 143 hornady and both are tack drivers but the .300 will probably shoot the heavier bullets better and those powders will work in the loads !

Did you pull one in the 87 gr load or is it a flier. Do you remember what shot it was.
Not sure what happened on that shot but shot the same load at 200 at it was unable to repeat decent results.

Attachments

• 20190327_145338.jpg
    20190327_145338.jpg
    611.2 KB · Views: 154
Matrix makes a 146grn in 6.5 that I've had good luck with using RL-26. Retumbo works as well. I have an 8 twist (6.5-06AI) so they do shoot well w/o a faster twist.

5 shot group at 100....going to 350 next and hope to hold it together.

Attachments

• 146 Matrix.jpg
    146 Matrix.jpg
    1,020.9 KB · Views: 137
Let me start by saying I am not a fan of the 6.5. Never have been never will be. That being said my brother won this rifle and being a reloading nut case, I want to help him find some loads. Looked in my current batch of reloading manuals and can't find a load. Sooooo
HELP!
I believe that the best bullet for this cartridge will be the 140 class of bullets. No elk with this rifle, probably mostly deer, antelope and coyotes.
I think, given the case capacity, that some of the really slow powders, RL26, H1000, IMR7828, Retumbo, etc. are going to be the best mix. Magnum primers to start it.
I am going to go to Quickload and see if there is a way to come up with a safe load.
Thanks to everyone in advance for any help.
Don't forget to check some of the online resources that are available, which I feel many people overlook or forget about. A quick search of Hodgdon's reloading data shows 24 different loads for the 6.5x300 Weatherby. Also I like calling powder companies and bullet manufacturers to see if they have data that just hasn't yet been published as things out pace the printing of new load manuals and online updates. I often find the companies do have data and many times learn a lot from a quick conversation from the folks that work there on my drive home from work.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.