6.5x300 win mag....need input

su37

Hey guys, I hope to get some input from this house.

I've have a 700/264 wm take off and it's been laying around for a few years. I thought I'd do something a little different and punch it out to 6.5x300 win mag with a 3.600 OAL. This OAL just fits in the 700 magazine.
I'll be using 140 grain bullets for the most part but will also visit 120s as well. In seating 120s, the base of the bullet is flush with the bottom of the neck. So both bullets could be utilized if needed or wanted.
I thought of going STW but think the win mag case best for
my usage.

Anyways... Any here use or shoot this cartridge? I would
appreciate any input in load development or speeds attained.
Or..any unforseen blocks in the path.

Thanks all for your help.

I have heard of the 25-300 WM. So I'm sure you could do a 6.5-300 WM. Performance is impressive. 6.5 would also be the better route to go for longer ranges. When I was really thinking of builing a hot 25 cal, I was seriously looking into one.

I think that this would be a very good round. I was looking into something similar, a 270-300WM. I think you would gain 100-150 fps on the 264WM, and the parent case is renowned for extreme accuracy. I have been shooting the 129 gr SST out of my 264WM with great accuracy and a nice one shot kill on a whitetail doe quartering hard away. Let us know how this round performs if you make one!

I have a friend that shoots a 25-300Win and it will out perform the 257Wby and do so with less fuss in the load department.
steping up a caliber size would help with effecientcy , I would think that it would shoot faster than a 264 STW with standard barrel lengths , I'm wanting to say that my buddy get about 3400-3500 fps with 115gr Ballistic tips and those loads show zero sighn of pressure
He went this rout so he could use Lapua brass

Hell , go for it , I though about doing a 7mm-300 Win just to have somthing differant

I sure am going for it! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Should prove to be a good winter project. Yes, I do think it will be more effecient.
I'll be going with some differ powders to test out.
N 170 and Hodgons new US 869 come to mind.
I have barrel and stock ready to go. I'm looking for
a S/S 700 action now. If you have any leads I'm open.
I have some trades as well in mind for one.
I figure to be able to have about 80 grains or so of powder capacity for the hull's. I think I'll go with Laupa brass necked down to 6.5

Don't limit yourself to just the Remington actions , ofton looked down on ,the Savage makes for a great build platform
I have a Win pushfeed that I'm thinking about building on , some sort of 6.5 , maybe a 6.5-06AI

I have a 6.5-300 on a Ruger#1 actionand a buddy has two built on B78's so far every thing is great>over 1000 rounds with no loss of accuracy,excellent accuracy out to 1300 yds half minute.One note we find that 270WSM brass is easier to resize,the neck must be turned or the throat opened upResize one and seat a bullet to get a measurement.We have been using the 270WSM loading data and using the min loads as a 6.5 max guideline and starting down 5% and working up so far accuracy has stopped me from finding max loads as far as pressure is concerned.When they shoot bugholes why keep going..Failure to turn the necks gave pressure signs as they tend to hold the bullets in quite tightly.Also we found that neck resizing doesn't work with any of the shortmags they need to be full length sized.The upside is that the cases (Win)are lasting very well. I have not got less than 10 reloads on a case so far, and when the failures occured at 12 it was split neck on two out of the 25 cases that I was keeping track of.Keep us informed of the powders it will be good to know how it goes.We have had good luck with H1000 and RETUMBO.

Sorry misread your thread believed you wanted a 6.5-300WSM.Why not a 6.5 STW instead of a 6.5-300WM

6,5-300Rum

6,5-338LM

You could also use 7mm Dakota brass, and neck down to 6,5
Or the lazzaroni..

When you are going overbore, go really overbore /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif Dont think the barrel will last more than a 1000 rounds on each of these calibers anyway..

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.