6.5x285- Burger Bullet?

Been working with my son on a load for his 24" Cooper 6.5x284 with a 140 Burger VLD hunting bullet. We been messin with H4831SC and Retumbo. Just wonderin at what velocity are yall getting your best accuracy at with that bullet.
I don't care what bullet I'm testing, I always start in the lands 15-20 thou, then test powder charges, then test seating w/ the most promising charge(s) last.

Current 26" Bartlein I'm running 130 VLD's at 3150 with H-4831-SC at .020" in.

Gurn,
Yeah, it's a great hunting bullet. Hornady doesn't classify it as such but I have seen it in action. From 40 to 725yds, all were one shot propositions.
Barrel is 26", stock Savage. JohnnyK>

I purchased a thousand of the 140 Berger Hunting for use in my 6.5 WSM but I am twist and magazine limited in my 6.5-284. I use the 130 Berger Hunting in the 6.5-284 and they are deeply seated to fit in the Model 70 FNH actions magazine.

I recently built a Model 70 Long Action (2013) in 6.5-06 Ackley. I have shot it with up to 62 grains of Reloader 26 (which is made by Nitrocheme in Switzerland) and the 130 gr bullets up to 3202 fps. The 6.5 WSM uses about 9 more grains of Retumbo (66.6 gr) to get 3160 from a 26 inch barrel. I use nitro carburized barrels and HBN coated bullets. VV N-570 has produced 3260 with 140 gr bullets.

Why did you pick the old single base 4831 and Retumbo for velocity? A member of my church used what would become surplus H4831 in the 20mm anti-aircraft cannon that he manned on the PT boat tender that included a young Lieutenant Kennedy in his group. I started handloading the .264 Win Mag with 8 pounds of H-4831 that cost $8 plus shipping. Hodgdon thought so much of Retumbo that they went out a bought a batch they call IMR 7977. I would suspect that either VV N-560, IMR 7977 or R-26 would give you the highest velocity in the 6.5-284 with 140 gr bullets.

Re: 6.5x285- Burger Bullet

Why did you pick the old single base 4831 and Retumbo for velocity? A member of my church used what would become surplus H4831 in the 20mm anti-aircraft cannon that he manned on the PT boat tender that included a young Lieutenant Kennedy in his group. I started handloading the .264 Win Mag with 8 pounds of H-4831 that cost $8 plus shipping. Hodgdon thought so much of Retumbo that they went out a bought a batch they call IMR 7977. I would suspect that either VV N-560, IMR 7977 or R-26 would give you the highest velocity in the 6.5-284 with 140 gr bullets.

Just some thoughts to answer your question.
I think Retumbo an H4831sc in the current temperature insensitive formulations are as good or better than any of the powders available, particularly when used with the 6.5x284. They will both generate exceptional accuracy. Whille they may not generate the highest of velocities(although Retumbo is very close in terms of max velocities in the 6.5x284 to anything else), I have found that the low ES, and exceptional temperature stability of these powders takes a priority over any small difference in velocity when it comes to long range hunting in extremes of temperature. If all these attributes exist with a load I'm very satisfied and more importantly confident in the long range hunting performance.

Of all the cartridges out there in my opinion the 6.5/284 is the most finicky !! I've had the pleasure of seeing at least 50 of them with most being smithed by the finest gunsmiths on the planet that one day would do this and the next day the same guy would be screaming/pulling his hair out...the most common word used with this cartridge under bench rest competition is "that's impossible"... Maybe it's just me but this would be one of the toughest cartridges to get to be consistent day to day under all types of conditions. I noticed that things were better using the original winchester .284 casings which are scarcier than capped hen's teeth, results were less finicky than with the newer available casings. Good luck with this one, patience is a virtue !

6.5WSM
Your issue is not uncommon with the short WSM action. I would suggest you try our 6.5 130 grain Hybrid OTM, TARGET, HUNTING BULLET.(#26196). tHIS IS A hybrid bullet that incorporates both the secant(VLD) and tangent (standard) ogives into a SAMMI length nose dimension that allows the bullet to be seated to standard magazine length and makes them very tolerant of jump. In most cases with this bullet. All you have to find is the velocity accuracy node. You could use the 140 and 130 VLD bullets still but it MAY be only in a single shot mode. Got to our website and under the INFORMATION tab go to TECH TALK in the drop down and read "VLDS MAKING THEM SHOOT ". This will help you with your seating depth testing.
Hope this helps!

I purchased a thousand of the 140 Berger Hunting for use in my 6.5 WSM but I am twist and magazine limited in my 6.5-284. I use the 130 Berger Hunting in the 6.5-284 and they are deeply seated to fit in the Model 70 FNH actions magazine.

I recently built a Model 70 Long Action (2013) in 6.5-06 Ackley. I have shot it with up to 62 grains of Reloader 26 (which is made by Nitrocheme in Switzerland) and the 130 gr bullets up to 3202 fps. The 6.5 WSM uses about 9 more grains of Retumbo (66.6 gr) to get 3160 from a 26 inch barrel. I use nitro carburized barrels and HBN coated bullets. VV N-570 has produced 3260 with 140 gr bullets.

I think our choice was due to the H powders bein not so temp sensitive. Or so they say. Thanks folks for all your thoughts on this.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.