Bullet behind Bullet

idcwby

For everyone that likes to run different bullets, have one for short range and one for long range. Have you seen any impact difference for your long range round after shooting it behind the short range round?

idcwby

Are you asking if different bullets/loads have different points of impact? Or are you asking specifically about whether a "long range round" impacts differently when it's a second shot?

For everyone that likes to run different bullets, have one for short range and one for long range. Have you seen any impact difference for your long range round after shooting it behind the short range round?

idcwby

I keep things simple, the same load (same bullet type/weight) for all ranges, so I do not have to worry about it. Why complicate it unnecessarily. 😇

The odds are high that two different bullets and loads will shoot to different points of impact at 100 yds.

I once helped a shooter make loads for an African trip. We used 300 gr softs and solids made by Hornady. The bullets were similar and with some minor powder tweaking we got the rifle to shoot same POI at 100 yds. The BC for these two bullets is the same but velocities were slightly different so with distance they would likely have different trajectories.

I knew a guy who spent a great deal of time getting his rifle to shoot three types of bullets with same impact point at 100 yds. I was a hobby of his. I guess everyone has to have something to do.

There are some that don't like to shoot two different bullets through the bore without cleaning in between. If the jacket alloys are different it can cause severe fouling issues. Shooting a mono like a Barnes after shooting a jacketed bullet will cause the softer Barnes bullet rub off on the harder fouling left by the jacketed bullet.

I have a 6mm-284 sporter that shoots a 55 gr ballistic tip 1/2" lower at 100 yds than the 95 gr Berger even though it is going 600 fps faster. I believe it has to do with barrel harmonics. I never shot one bullet after the other so don't know how that would have worked out.

I have not noticed the change other than the standard change from the load iteslef being different.
But if running something like hammer or cutting edge where the material is the same just different shape then that won't make a difference.
You could run into issues going from day hammer to Berger. That would be something you would have to test

Are you asking if different bullets/loads have different points of impact? Or are you asking specifically about whether a "long range round" impacts differently when it's a second shot?
When the long range load is the second shot. I've read of a few people using a tough constructed bullet for close shots and a more frangible bullet for longer shots. Trying to determine if it's a road I want to try.

idcwby

I keep things simple, the same load (same bullet type/weight) for all ranges, so I do not have to worry about it. Why complicate it unnecessarily. 😇
I usually play by the K.I.S.S. principal. Just been nervous about shooting long range bullets at close range, with all the stories of them not performing good. Just checking other options.

idcwby

There are some bullets that play together better, I've ran Hammers and Bergers in this way and they got along, Bergers and Noslers do not get along and I've seen it a few times where the Bergers jackets do not like the copper from the Noslers. I approach using two bullets very carefully with a lot of testing before just rocking it. The vast majority of the time I just run one bullet and make my shot placement right for the range.

I usually play by the K.I.S.S. principal. Just been nervous about shooting long range bullets at close range, with all the stories of them not performing good. Just checking other options.

idcwby

My go to bullets for LR down to SR/MR are Bergers and Matrix. Like BNG, I try to make shot placement a high priority at all ranges.

Cheers!

Last edited:
My 7.62x39 AR-15 Night Vision rig shoot about everything close enough that I don't worry about adjusting the zero between the bullets. It of course is not a long range weapon.
20200304_162712.jpg

That's 11 shots with 3 different bullets, one being a mono, one a varmint and one a lead core spire point.

All three had the exact same powder charge.

Last edited:
I get what you're after. I have a 155gr hammer load for my 300wm that shoots to same poi as my 200gr eldx load. While vastly different in weight and speed, I've got a great 200+ load in the hammer and a great 300 and out load in the 200gr eldx. I've shot the hammer to 500, but I feel better with a little more meat in the bullet at longer ranges.

Interesting topic. Some years back I was fire forming a 30-338 custom chamber on a Remington action. From memory, my 150 gr. Speer fire forming loads were grouping just great. i even went on to zero them at 100 yds.
Then a couple weeks latter I returned to the range with my new loads for a upping elk hunt. The loads were imr 4831 with 180 or 200 gr Nosler partitions. After finding the node I discovered I was hitting exactly the same 100 yd zero as the Speer fire forming loads!!
i went to fill my deer tag with the 150's, and later that fall I filled my elk tag with the Nosler load. Of course longer range bullet drop was different, but not much out to 250 yds. Again from memory, the velocity of the150's was around 2600 FPS, the Noslers were 3050fps.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.