.6.5x284 ?

kc

My brother has the opertunity to pickup two Remingtons a .3006 and a .270 there are two other rifles they are also Remingtons.(short actions)
When you built your 6.5X285s did you use long actions or short actions.
His plans are to do some long Range shooting. M40A1s with the ability to kill deer behind the company where he works, the owner gave permision but we are both building idetical rifles.

Also when you changed the bolt nob to a badger did you grind down the old nob or just cut it off at the front of the origenal bolt nob.
the models are cheap ones. the only thing that worth using is the Bolts/actions and triggers.

My factory Savage 12F is a short action, but single shot only.

I built my hunting rifle on a Model 70 Long Action. It cycles nicely and shoots straight.

I have not replaced any bolt handles.

Good Luck,
Richard

Long actions work better for a 6.5/284 you can seat the 140gn bullets with longer OAL my 6.5/284 OAL is 3.170" with a 140 Amax

I have a fixture I use to turn down the factory bolt nob and single point thread for the replacement nobs.

I have a fixture I use to turn down the factory bolt nob and single point thread for the replacement nobs.

I had never considered replacing one of mine since I'm not setup to do proper welding in my garage. But, I like the sound of your method.

Did you buy or make your fixture?

thanks!
Richard

I had never considered replacing one of mine since I'm not setup to do proper welding in my garage. But, I like the sound of your method.

Did you buy or make your fixture?

thanks!
Richard

ewallace -

Also, do you feel that the factory handle/weld is strong enough on a 700 to handle the extra leverage that a larger knob might allow?

I've seen a few photos of broken bolt handles and wondered what kind of abuse it takes to break one.

I never really paid attention to whether those examples were factory or after-market handles and/or knobs.

-- richard

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.