6.5x284 extreme powders

I currently have a 26 but when I rebarrel I'm going to a 28 inch. And yeah like I said I'm looking hard at retumbo for my next work up. I've heard good things with the retumbo 215s and 140 vlds.

i use H4350,140 VLD hunting.cci LR
lierally no ********, 1 ragged hole.
i have killed 3 deer at 500 with this and 2 pronghorn at 425 yards with another good option, varget
my gun likes them at 3.018 coal

i am not as experienced as everyone here but since i jumped in the pool i'm sure the others will help
i would certainly ladder your gun for seating depth

my process:
pick powder and 1 charge
load
3 of each
.005 off ,010 off ,020, .040 , .050

you Will find a node
then fine tune the node in .005 inch increments if necessary ,go to .002

once you have something you feel is worthwhile vis-a-vis depth
then i would use the charge as your starting powder and experiement with .5 grain increments and different powders
i'm sure this is all familiar to you but i truly believe it is good to refresh the basics.
the people on this site have helped me immeasurably and i am simply trying to return the favor

140's in a 6.5 are a deadly combo that works like a hammer close and a missle far
mine likes bergers,accubonds and believe it or not speer grand slams.

it is MY HUMBLE OPINION the depth is more important than powder and charge at first.

Yeah I've got a current load that shot .38 on the outside but at 1000 it wasn't perfect like I wanted it to be and I'm thinking it's my ES so I was going to switch. Also rl17 has a reputation of temp sensitivity so I wanted to go with a pn extreme to reduce that as much as possible

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.