hodgdon extreme powders

Hodgdon's powders do seem to be less temperature sensitive than other brands however, I'm not going to limit myself to just one brand. I've got 23 different rifle powders and 9 pistol powders. I don't really care about temperature sensitivity. I reload to find consistent accuracy, then velocity. If I can get both, all the better. I reload and shoot year round for four different rifles/calibers. JohnnyK.

What you have read is true. Alliant RL powders are VERY temp. sensitive. I have some great loads with RL 22 and RL 25 but have started using Hodgdon H 4831 in place of them because of the temp. insensivity. My experience was I developed a load shot great with good velocity in late spring. When I shot the rifle in early winter my point of impact moved about 3 inches. After switching to Hodgdon the problem of point of impact moving was solved. My velocities are a little lower but I DO know where my bullet is going to hit.

Agree!!! My experience is that the Winchester ball powders are temperature sensitive as well. My main experience is with WW-748 and 308Win. loads developed in 50's temp and show excessive primer flattening at 80-90 temps. I've used RL-15 for my long range 223 loads with 80 grain bullets, but the loads were developed in warmer 70 degree weather, and I don't remember any real pressure variations.

Since then, I've turned to the VitaVouri and Hodgdon Extreme powders. N-140 and N-540 have given me greater velocity, and good temp. stability.

The RL powders are great powders and are very good if you want the most velocity. The H-Extreme powders are not as fast for the most part but are very temperature stable. I remember using them before they put the coating on them that makes them temp stable and the velocities were higher. I start with the Extreme powders first then move on if they do not work well which is rare.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.