6.5x284 dies

Buy Bushing dies. Wilson, Forster and Redding. How do you size for your neck and your chamber without a selection of bushings. The necks will change over time as you reload them. I have cases with a dozen full pressure firings that are going strong but the necks seem to be getting thinner. All have been annealed once by me. I use Lapua brass.

The OP doesn't state whether his rifle is a factory rifle or a tight tolerance, custom benchrest type rifle. That answer would tell us quite a bit more about the OP's needs.

If the rifle in question is not a custom benchrest type, obsessing over bushing dies and cartridge runout is a waste of time and money. Standard dies would make more sense in that situation.

Yeah I appreciate it all the help but I just need a standard set. Not a bench gun just casual targets and huntin roads.

Thanks for the thread guys. I just picked up a savage lr hunter and can't find bullets. I guess necessity is going to get me to start reloading.

With all due respect, I believe that Benchracer lacks experience loading the caliber. If you purchase a 6.5-284 you are not interested in .270 Win accuracy or performance at long range. You are looking for something more.

Secondly I think that Benchracers advise belongs over on "24-Hour Campfire" or the Cabela's message board.

6.5-284 Norma reamers are usually .296 neck and the resulting chambers are tighter than .270 or .30/06 "hunting" chambers cut with SAMI spec reamers. Bushing dies will make it possible to tune your cartridges to the tolerance you want in your chamber. Bushing dies will allow you to use your cases for more reloads as the necks thin with use.

The seating die stem in a "set" is not manufactured for the newer bullets in the caliber. It will "center push" on the 130 Accubond and Hornady 129 spire points both SST and Bonded. Of course, the Berger bullets will not work either. You need to buy a "VLD" seating stem, have a Riflesmith modify your stem or purchase a Wilson seating die which costs less to begin with.

If you are not interested in Long Range Hunting then buy a .270 Win and feed it factory Core-loks and subscribe to 24 Hour Campfire.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.