6.5x284 build

stoti

Hello all.
I've been thinking about turning one of my Remington 700 LH, 30-06 rifles into a long range hunting rig in 6.5x284. I have a buddy that has a 26" Douglas, stainless barrel (I think it's a Sendero contour or very similar) that he was going to use on a build and chose not to. He said he would sell it to me for very cheap ($250-$300). It has been cut to length (26"), chamber cut for the 6.5x284 and it's been threaded for a brake. I think it just needs to be screwed on and head spaced. I would be saving a lot of money but I don't want to save that money with a caveat. I don't want any headaches or desire for something different later on down the road. I want everything just right the first time!
Everything sounds awesome, I couldn't have planned it out any better, EXCEPT, here's what I'm here to ask you all about...it's a 1:9 twist and I was planning on using a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist. From what I've read, the 1:8 is what most people prefer and really the only way to go for the bullet size I want to use. The 1:8.5 twist rate is a close second but this barrel isn't that one either. Am I making too big a deal out of this? Should I just do it, save lots of money and then find a bullet that works? Is this twist rate a good one and I just read the information on line incorrectly? Basically what I want to know is, if this was your build and your money, would you buy this barrel or not? Would this be a problem for you if it was your build or would you go with a 1:8 twist? What are your feelings on a barrel in 1:9 twist in a 26" length for shooting bullets in the 139gr.-142gr. range? Is the 26" length long enough for a case of powder this size to maximize velocity. I've read that a 28"-30" might be better but this is a hunting rifle that I have to carry around in the mountains all day. I don't mind losing 25-50fps to save the weight and the burden of such a long rifle. Below are some of the rifle components I'll use for this build, in case you need to know and it might help. Thank you all very much for your help. Kevin

Remington 700, Left Hand action.
McMillian or Manners stock, if I can get one.
Action has been trued and will be bedded at the recoil lug.
20 degree mount/rings.
Vortex PST or Nightforce scope (the Nightforce if I can get a deal on one)
APA Gen 1 little bastard brake
As noted above, the barrel is a Douglas 26", Sendero contour, ready to go.

130 vld or accubond will be fine and work well for you. Not until 800+ will the 140 start to out perform.

Hello all.
I've been thinking about turning one of my Remington 700 LH, 30-06 rifles into a long range hunting rig in 6.5x284. I have a buddy that has a 26" Douglas, stainless barrel (I think it's a Sendero contour or very similar) that he was going to use on a build and chose not to. He said he would sell it to me for very cheap ($250-$300). It has been cut to length (26"), chamber cut for the 6.5x284 and it's been threaded for a brake. I think it just needs to be screwed on and head spaced. I would be saving a lot of money but I don't want to save that money with a caveat. I don't want any headaches or desire for something different later on down the road. I want everything just right the first time!
Everything sounds awesome, I couldn't have planned it out any better, EXCEPT, here's what I'm here to ask you all about...it's a 1:9 twist and I was planning on using a 1:8 or 1:8.5 twist. From what I've read, the 1:8 is what most people prefer and really the only way to go for the bullet size I want to use. The 1:8.5 twist rate is a close second but this barrel isn't that one either. Am I making too big a deal out of this? Should I just do it, save lots of money and then find a bullet that works? Is this twist rate a good one and I just read the information on line incorrectly? Basically what I want to know is, if this was your build and your money, would you buy this barrel or not? Would this be a problem for you if it was your build or would you go with a 1:8 twist? What are your feelings on a barrel in 1:9 twist in a 26" length for shooting bullets in the 139gr.-142gr. range? Is the 26" length long enough for a case of powder this size to maximize velocity. I've read that a 28"-30" might be better but this is a hunting rifle that I have to carry around in the mountains all day. I don't mind losing 25-50fps to save the weight and the burden of such a long rifle. Below are some of the rifle components I'll use for this build, in case you need to know and it might help. Thank you all very much for your help. Kevin

Remington 700, Left Hand action.
McMillian or Manners stock, if I can get one.
Action has been trued and will be bedded at the recoil lug.
20 degree mount/rings.
Vortex PST or Nightforce scope (the Nightforce if I can get a deal on one)
APA Gen 1 little bastard brake
As noted above, the barrel is a Douglas 26", Sendero contour, ready to go.
I think you will be disappointed if you use the Douglas with a 1-9 twist. It might be considered a bargain, but after you have it you'll realize it is a mistake. 26" is long enough for the 6.5x284, go longer and you will be sacrificing handling.

You need the 1:8 twist to get the best out of your proposed 6.5-284 build. You're not saving that much money by buying your friends build. I would suggest a Bartlein 3 or 3b for a carry rifle. Check out bugholes.com.

The difference between a 130 and 140 berger VLD Hunting is very small. If you get say, 100 fps more with a 130 than a 140, at 900 yards it makes a difference of .1-.2 MOA for a 10mph wind, with the 140 being slightly better, if the 140 is 2950 and the 130 is 3050. The 140 also has more energy than the 130, but not really enough to make it hugely significant.

The problem is, you may not even get the 130 to shoot acceptably in a 1in9 twist, Berger recommends a 1in8 for the 130's. Or, you may. My dad has a 6.5x55 that he is shooting the 140 Hybrid in and it is making bug holes, and its a 1in9 twist. Granted, we live at 6600 feet elevation. If you are low elevation, you may not have such luck. When building a custom rifle, you want to stack all the odds in your favor that you will have a shooter put together, and have it be exactly what you want, that's the whole purpose of building a rifle.

Depending on where you live, you may be able to get the 140's to shoot in 1in9 twist, or it may not even shoot the 130's well, and you will have to stick with a 120 class bullet, which is starting to significantly limit your rifles ability to be the best it can in that cartridge, if you intend to really reach out there. Not saying a 120 won't kill things really far out there, it's just that a 140 would do the same thing, with less wind deflection, giving you, the hunter, a better chance of success.

Bottom line, if you want to build a rifle one time, and do it right, hold off on the 1in9. Get exactly what you want, a 1in8 twist, and you will have the highest chance of being able to shoot the 140's accurate. I have a 1in8 in my 260AI, and it shoots the 140's phenomenally. I put together a fireforming load with a 100 grain A-MAX, and it shot under 1/2" groups at 100 yards, and killed p-dogs with authority. In other words, a 1in8 twist is much more versatile than a 1in9, you can shoot all weight bullets offered in the 6.5 caliber and more than likely they will shoot well.

You may spend a couple hundred bucks more on getting the exact barrel that you want, but you won't be wishing that you had done it on down the road.

Also, you probably wont have to wait for your tube to be made. Check out this link, Krieger barrel, 4 groove, ready to ship, 1in8, sendero contour.

Krieger Direct Ready to ship Match Grade Rifle Barrels 6.5MM 26" Rem Varmint / Sendero - Stainless - Krieger Direct

Thanks! That's exactly the type of information I was looking for. I really appreciate it. Kevin

Absolutely go with the 1:8 twist. While the 1:8.5 twist may stabilize a 140 gr VLD, There will be no question with the 1:8. A 26" barrel in a 3 through Sendaro/Rem Varmint taper is stable for 1000 yard plus shooting and of sufficient length to give a full and consistent burn with slower powders like Retumbo. The 140 Berger and JLK Bullets are the biggest reason to use the 140's. At 6.5x284 velocities the terminal performance on game is superb from 50 to 1000+ yards. With dozen's of deer(including big bodied Alberta mulies), I have not had a failure with most DRT. Small entrance, 1" exit....everything in between....mush. I just completed a new build on a Remington action with a Bartlien 26" Varmint taper 5R. With no fuss it was giving .25MOA on the first outing.
Took this big guy in Wyoming this week at 654 yards from a high bluff with my Cooper. You can see the exit on the lower shoulder. Massive internal damage. LOVE the 6.5x284!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 176
As many have stated, I would not settle for a 9 twist. If you are going custom, you should not SETTLE for the difference you will be spending. The 9 twist is very marginal unless you are at high elevation.......Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.