6.5x284 tikka build

Highvoltage

Sending my tikka action to the smith with a bartlein 6.5 blank for a 6.5x284 build. I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions of a certain freebore? I'm building on a long action so I should be able to take advantage of the longer bullets, I'm thinking a 140 berger or 143 eldx. Let me know what you think. Also any advice on powder, dies, brass etc is very helpful since this is my first 6.5x284. Thanks in advance and best wishes

I believe the Noma reamer is set up for 140s, but it's always good to send a few dummy rounds in to verify the throating is adequate.
Lapua brass is available everywhere, I think I still have a very slightly used 3 die Redding Deluxe die set if you're interested.
Retumbo, H1000, and RL26 work great

Sending my tikka action to the smith with a bartlein 6.5 blank for a 6.5x284 build. I wanted to see if anyone had any opinions of a certain freebore? I'm building on a long action so I should be able to take advantage of the longer bullets, I'm thinking a 140 berger or 143 eldx. Let me know what you think. Also any advice on powder, dies, brass etc is very helpful since this is my first 6.5x284. Thanks in advance and best wishes
My Reamer is at the Smith right now so I can't send a pic but I use a long action and run a 188 free bore, powder of choice is reloader 23 ,I'm pushing a 140 berger VLD hunting at about 29 80 ft./s I prefer Redding dies, The reamer is the one from Dave Kiff for 6.5x284 norma

Sounds good, I just landed 5lbs of h1000, was planning on using it in my 300. I also have a few lbs of 7828ssc and h4350. I've seen 23 lately but have passed on it. Next time I see it around I'll probably grab some. This barrel should finish at 23" so I'm hoping to reach 2900-2950 with the 140. I've hit 2950 with rl26 in the creed so I'm hoping this rifle will get there without the pixie dust. Any particular 140 bullet I should try other than 143/147 Hornady?

Last edited:
The standard Norma spec is .188". This free bore will handle the bullets you mention and the Berger 156 EOL's as well. It's a good idea to make sure your Gunsmith stick to this spec. Lots of opinions on this but I've have seen some Gunsmiths shorten free-bores as much as .050" to accommodate chasing the lands for throat wear. For a hunting rifle, I don't recommend it…..This Norma Match Spec(below) was supplied to me by Criterion when I purchased their Pre-fit ……Perfect!
You should be OK for those velocities using H1000. In addition to R26(highest velocity 140-156)), I use Retumbo(most often for 2975-3025FPS(140-143),) and, H4831sc(lower velocity). I like the Redding "S" FL Dyes/Competition seater. Lapua or Norma brass.

0E3B9A66-386F-4B46-8E79-4D8FAED13D3E.jpeg

Does this reamer work well for factory offerings as well? (Not that there's many to choose from). Also does that full length die use bushings, if so which ones do you prefer. I'll probably grab the laupa brass to start with.

Does this reamer work well for factory offerings as well? (Not that there's many to choose from). Also does that full length die use bushings, if so which ones do you prefer. I'll probably grab the laupa brass to start with.
The Norma spec should be used by a factory, and performs best. The issue has come in where the factories will offer a short action and shorten the throat. This can mean a loss in the capacity/performance. They obviously never got the memo! The 6.5x284N needs 3.2" in the action/magazine length, which means a long action or a medium that is at least this length(3.2'). The factories seem to take liberties with throating when they supply a SA. Unfortunately, this same issue seems to be popping up with the 6.5PRC. While a bit shorter the the 6.5x284, it still needs at least a medium action to extract the best performance….It has been promoted/sold as a short action. The Savage rifles chambered in 6.5x284N are near exact to the Norma spec. with a .188" throat, are supplied in a long action, and, at least in the ones I have seen/used, performs as it should.. My Cooper(LA) meets the spec as well.

My 6.5x284 is a ca ridgeline, new saami spec fb of 0.299 which is a mile long. 156s touching are half way up the neck. I run them 40k off lands whith 54.2gr rl26 @ 2955 fps, one hole at 100y 1" at 400y for 3 shot groups. The saami reamer has same neck diameter as the norma match above. My lapua brass necks were tighter than I liked so neck turned for 292 loaded diameter. I use a forster fl non bushing die, 262 expander mandrel for 0025 neck tension. Also have a set of redding type s fl die/seater. I utilize only the seater currently. My tight neck issue may habe completely been due to Christensen using the reamer for too many cuts and could have been getting under sized from dulling/wear.

Great Choice !!
I ran the PTG Norma Match Reamer with .188 freebore.
Lapua brass, 140 vld Berger's,
Retumbo, Federal primers.
Redding Type S bushing dies,
.292 bushing.

My 6.5-284 was chambered by Speedy Gonzalez. It's a tack driver. Purchase either Lapua or Petersen brass. Listen to Greyfox and get the Redding Type S FL die (the S stands for Speedy Gonzalez) with the bushings he suggested.
H4831 is kinda the gold standard powder for this cartridge. The benchrest shooters used it almost exclusively. Retumbo, RL26 & RL23 are excellent choices. I prefer RL23 pushing the 140 VLD at 2997 fps.

BBF just bought a Savage Lightweight 6.5 PRC with Proof barrel. Anyone have experience with weapon? He asked me to load some hunting ammo. Any experiences anybody?

Recent Posts