My first custom build-6.5x284

huge29

Would you please give me some input as this is my first custom build? This will be something to pack around so keeping it under 9 lbs and keep the components (excluding base, scope, rings) $1,000 or so. These are the components I have preliminarily decided upon, but certainly not set on any of them:
Action-700 LA in BDL to have the hinge plate and not have to buy the $300 mag system. I am fine with the hinge plate and am told that it will bolt on the new stock just fine. I plan to either buy a brand new ADL and just eject through the action or a BDL/SPS from a pawn shop and sell off the stock, barrel, scope (if necessary). I was told to get the LA to have the longer bullets feed into the mag for this cartridge.
Barrel-I am thinking Brux, Bartlein or Krieger as I am told that they are the only consistently good ones in my price range, Shilen are wildly overrated is what I have been told, but I have zero experience with them. I am looking at shooting the 130-140 grain bullets. Which twist should I get? 26" seems good?? I was told to get a #4, seems a bit heavy for my purpose, but the next size down is only a few ounces less.
Brake-not sure I am set to get one, but I can basically get what is said to be a good one for very cheap and installed for free; Id just need to pack ear plugs with me hunting.
Stock-I really want to go laminate to have something not the ordinary. I am really liking the idea of the Revolution Tundra with aluminum block, thumbhole. Anyone have any experience with these? I certainly can't justify the cost of a McMillan. A buddy swears by the Boyds, the guy assembling it says they are fine, but take a lot of work.
Trigger-Timney as good as any in my price range?
Your input would be greatly appreciated; totally new at this stuff. Thanks guys!

I just built a 6.5 Sherman. I used a #4 Pacnor 26 inch 8 twist. I had a little more than 1100 in my barreled action. I went with a Timney as well, HS Precision stock with the BDL hinged floor plate. It shoots better than I can. I would go with the 1-8.

Jay

If you are doing a 6.5-284, definitely go with a LA to give you room for 130-140 grain bullets.

I would go with a #3 contour if you aren't fluting it. This will save some weight. If you are fluting, a #4 will work well. Definitely go with a 26" barrel to take advantage of a slower burn powder.

Can't go wrong with either a Brux or Bartlein barrel.

Right now, Stockys Stocks is selling off their current inventory and they have Bobby Hart stocks on sale. Laminated with bedding block.

Bobby Hart AccuBlock Heritage Classic Remington 700 BDL Laminated Sporter Riflestocks WITH ALUMINUM BEDDING BLOCK

Boyds stocks are nice when finished but do need a LOT of work.

I have both Timney and Jewel triggers. The Timney is good if on a budget but if you can afford it, get a Jewel.

I think you might have a hard time doing all of this for under $1000 and also under 9 lbs for a complete rifle but I wish you the best. I'm sure others on this site with more experience than me will have more suggestions.

You never mentioned the reamer's specs. This is going to be a very important one. Here are my notes on the subject from my documents.

6.5x284 Winchester was the original wildcat.

Norma standardized the cartridge with CIP as the 6.5x284 Norma (the european equivalent of SAMMI).

All new factory rifles and ammo are likely chambered for the 6.5x284 Norma unless otherwise stated.

The Norma has a slightly longer COAL and slightly fatter base.

As such, 6.5x284 Norma ammo may not fit in a chamber cut with an old 6.5x284 Winchester reamer.

There can also be some confusion when ordering reamers as some will be referred to as "Match" or "Lapua". For the most part, these will usually be 6.5x284 Norma with tight tolerance chambers. If you're ordering a reamer, you would want to get the specifics from the reamer mfg.

------------
Do you intend to use a specific brand of brass? Lapua brass has thicker necks than Norma brass. Do you intend to user a "no turn neck reamer" or neck turn the brass?

If it were my custom build I would be ordering the reamer. They only run $140 from Pacific Tool and Gauge. Best to discuss this with Dave and come up with the reamer that fits your needs.

The more I read and pick the brain of others the more I learn and have me changing my thoughts a little. Seems a big negative on 284 is short barrel life. So many options, but I dont think I want to go with anything too obscure. A popular one seems to be 6.5x47 or the 260AI. I just dont see that much difference from the Creedmor and the 260 with both of the latter being so much easier to find components.
Stockys has some good prices as they are liquidating all current stock in anticipation of their new site, so I am not sure to wait them out or jump on it.

I have a 6.5-284 build which was recently completed. If I had it to do over again I might have went with a 6.5 SAUM!

I agree that the 6.5 SAUM is a very attractive round but the difficulty in finding parent brass was a big deterrent to building one. I have not seen 7mm SAUM brass in a very long time and when I do see 300 SAUM brass it's $3/piece. The 26 Nosler is pretty much the same as the 6.5 SAUM in performance and the brass is also $3/piece. I find it funny that everyone talks about how easy the 6.5 SAUM is on the barrel yet says the 26 Nosler is a barrel burner. ??? Just about any over-bored round that pushes a pill 3100+ FPS is going to be hard on the barrel.

The 6.5-284 will take deer out to 1000 yards and components are easy to find. I have learned over many years, and lots of dollars, that having a slower, predictable round is more forgiving than all out speed. It doesn't matter if a bullet gets there faster if you can't be sure where it's going to hit. If you still want speed, you can push a 130 grain bullet over 3000 FPS but I like the higher BC and retained energy of a 140.

First identify what you want to do with your rifle, then build it to fit. If you need more oomph than a 6.5-284, build a 7 LRM or a 300 RUM. If you need less and want to be nice to your shoulder, build a 243 Win or a 6.5x47 Lapua.

Here is a link to a 243 Win that I put together for under $1000 and weighs in at 8.5 lbs. It's a great carry rifle that compliments my 12lb 6.5-284. In a year or two I will either re-chamber it to 243AI or re-barrel to a 6.5x47 Lapua.
http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/new-243-carry-rifle-139684/

Just my $0.02

Just finished my 6.5x284 a few months ago. Sounds like you described what I built to a T.
1. Rem. 700 LA
2. Bobby Hart accu-block shock
3. Timney trigger
4. Muzzle brake
5. Leupold Mark 4 scope
6. Talley mounts
7. Only thing difference I used a Douglas Premium XX barrel.

I went with the Douglas barrel because my smith told me their are the only barrel manufacturer that warrantys their barrel. Only thing is this rig weights in at a little over 11 lbs. But, it shoots under 1/2" MOA at 800 yds.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.