6.5x284 WIN??!!

Jkslvr

OK I have to just ask.
I had a rifle built and my smith chambered it in 6.5x284 WIN not NORMA.

Can I run NORMA ammo in it seems fine with 120gr stuff. Wont chamber 140GR which seems to be the issue as WIN is less in the throat?

What is the actual difference. DANGERS? Can I get the throat on the WIN opened up?

Not familiar with the 6.5x284 Win but would think no.

Did you pay him to do 6.5x284 Norma? If so, he needs to make it right.

THE Only real difference is in the free bore and throating. Free bore is built in to throating reamers. Compare a chamber drawing of the 6.5x.284 Win. with the C.I.P. chamber drawing of the 6.5x.284 Norma. Load data may be different, but that is because the 6.5x.284 Win. has less usable case capacity because the bullet is seated deeper, as it is considered a S.A. cartridge (the Winchester version). The 6.5x.284 Norma, with its longer O.A.L., has its bullet NOT seated as deeply, which makes for a propellant vessel of greater capacity. The 6.5x.284 Norma needs a medium or L.A. because of its O.A.L. Have that chamber throated to Norma spec and go on with life.

The basic difference between the two:

The "Winchester" 6.5-284 wildcat version normally has a short throat.

The 6.5-284 Norma version is long throated and is a register cartridge with standardized dimensions.

Regards.

This response from Buttermilk on a similar thread on Nov.11, 2012

https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/6-5x284-norma-vs-6-5x284-win.101370/

shortgrass has the right answer.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.