Converting Savage 116 270 win to 6.5x284 Norma

Hey everyone I am thinking about turning my savage 116 270 win into a 6.5x284 Norma and was wondering about a good smith to do the work for me. I plan on using a Lilja barrel for the re-chambering. I live in NW Montana and would love some advise from someone with firsthand knowledge of a good gunsmith in my area.

Other than the want to do it why even bother yourself with this slight of a change ? There's very little difference between those two...you could buy a savage 6.5 and save yourself the time and lots of cash. A 140 grain berger in both and see how much real difference there is for the money.

you are right it is more of a want than anything. I was thinking about putting a new barrel, stock, and scope on the rifle so figured why not chamber it in the 6.5x284.

you are right it is more of a want than anything. I was thinking about putting a new barrel, stock, and scope on the rifle so figured why not chamber it in the 6.5x284.

Turn it into a 270 Sherman or a 6.5 Sherman. 270 will make 3100+ with a 170 Berger and 6.5 will make 3100 with a 160 in 26" barrels. You don't have to modify anything. I have used Dennis Olsen in Plains Mt. or you might contact "Bigngreen" on this forum and see if he has time to build you a Sherman. It will outperform a 6.5/284 by 250' .....Rich

Go with Mcgowen Barrels in Kalispell MT. They make a pre-fit savage barrel for $275 and they shoot amazing. I've re-barreled a few Savages and it's super easy, but if you don't want to do the work drop your gun off and have Mcgowen do it.

A 6.5-284 was pretty disappointing for me.

My savage 6.5-284 Lrh barely breaks 2800fps with a 140, my 22" barrel 270 Sherman does better than that with a 165.

And while your thinking, for far less than a gunsmith charges, you can buy your own action wrench and barrel wrench and a go-gage and do it all yourself forever.

Larry
Tinkerer

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.