??'s on Savage 116 6.5x284

wyoguide

Does any one have any feedback/ reviews on the Cabelas exclusive 116 weather warrior in 6.5x284? I've been interested in this caliber for a while, and just recently came to realize that although ugly, Savages do perform. The nearest Cabelas is over 200 mi from here. So I am looking for some feedback before I make the journey. TIA-Jim...........

I have about 250 rounds through mine. I have no compliants about this set up. I brought it home, cleaned it up real well, and broke it in. I did a break in with 20 rounds. The barrel hasn't changed much if any since the initial break in regarding copper fouling.

I would, in a nano second, buy another. I have not been a big fan of the way the savage bolt handle etc looks but ya know, I used to it now and really like the look and feel of this rifle for a stock set up.

Also, the deep flutes on the barrel helps pull some weight out. I believe I am right at 11.3 lbs with a NF 5.5-22 x 56 scope.

Thanks Brent, I was hoping you could tell me about a couple details. You mentioned the bolt handle, is it the larger, smooth knob, or the smaller "checkered" one? Also, how does the bolt release? On the side or trigger guard? Oh and is it blind mag,detach, or ????

Medium knob and smooth, not the mondo target or little blister maker.

Release is two part, squeeze trigger, press in release on side of action. Easy.

It is the bottom feed style, 3 plus 1, trap door. I really was hoping for a detachable mag, but I have gotten use to this style and really like it. It is very gentle on handling the cartridges and not bumping bullets out of alignment.

Attachments

• savage.jpg
    savage.jpg
    128.2 KB · Views: 213
Thanks again Brent, I had seen your pic on Savageshooters but couldn't tell about bolt knob, release, etc. I much prefer the side release to the goofy little button in front of the tag. Gonna have to make a road trip this weekend and check one out.

I have the rifle and love it. It does not kick much and it something you can shoot all day. The trigger on mine is set real nice and I did not change a thing except put a 20moa rail on and a nice scope. I hand load with the 140 bergers and hybrid 100. I'm getting 2845fps out of this load and it shoot .5 moa out past 300yrds. This is with the 24 inch barrel and max load off of hodgens web page. I'm sure I could push it faster but this was the fastest I seen out of the powders I tried. Powdrs were H4350, H4831ssc, and the Hybrid. Hybrid shot the best through the gun. Gun has always clean up nice but my cold bore shot is a bit slower and low. So for hunting I sent one foul shot down the barrel and put if back in the case during hunting season. After the fist fouller it will shoot 20 plus shoots with no issues at 1/2 moa or less. Everything I have sent down the barrel usually groups below 1inch. All factory ammo grouped at .75 to .8in/100yrds. I did have an issue with a box of factory loaded ammo. It was very hot in my gun and was shooting at 3000 to 3030fps. Bolt was a little stiff when ejecting the rounds. I think this may have just been that box. But I love the gun and would buy another in a second.

Thanks for the replies. I went to Billings this weekend to look at the rifle, which they supposedly had two of per my phone call. Turned out they were mistaken and didn't have any. Not to be deterred, we decided to stay over, and run over to the Rapid City Cabelas on Sat. Before leaving town, we stopped at Scheels. Admiring the Coopers in the glass case, I asked the salesman "what caliber is that one without the tag"? He shrugged and opened the case. 6.5x284!!! "How much"? I asked. When he told me me I asked "are you sure"? Cuz it seemed pretty cheap to me. Yep he says it's new old stock plus a markdown. The target was shot in 2009, so I'm guessing I got '09 pricing plus markdown. Anyway, it followed me home and the Savage is gonna have to wait.

Thanks for the replies. I went to Billings this weekend to look at the rifle, which they supposedly had two of per my phone call. Turned out they were mistaken and didn't have any. Not to be deterred, we decided to stay over, and run over to the Rapid City Cabelas on Sat. Before leaving town, we stopped at Scheels. Admiring the Coopers in the glass case, I asked the salesman "what caliber is that one without the tag"? He shrugged and opened the case. 6.5x284!!! "How much"? I asked. When he told me me I asked "are you sure"? Cuz it seemed pretty cheap to me. Yep he says it's new old stock plus a markdown. The target was shot in 2009, so I'm guessing I got '09 pricing plus markdown. Anyway, it followed me home and the Savage is gonna have to wait.

Awesome!! It's always nice how things can work out in your favor. What model did you buy? Pics would be even better! I can't wait for mine to be finished. Unfortunately i have some time to wait...

I got the model 22 Phoenix. Sorry, not tech savvy enough for pics. Matte blue action, 26" stainless 8-twist bbl, black/red webbed stock w/ vented forearm. It came w/ a factory mounted Farrell 20 moa base. I don't know if this is a good base or not, but I looked them up and retail is $118. Nice bonus plus no sales tax in MT.

Are those savages long or short actions?

The 111 is long action but savages tech services is saying standard throat length so bullet is way down inthe case on heavier bullets and cannot take advantage of the long action.

Are you guys running into that?

Are those savages long or short actions?

The 111 is long action but savages tech services is saying standard throat length so bullet is way down inthe case on heavier bullets and cannot take advantage of the long action.

Are you guys running into that?

I have not seen that with several Savages, including my own LRH. The throat, chambering allows bullet seating and magazine loading if Berger 140VLD's to be seated into the lands if required. COAL to the lands:3.18-3.19". Beware of some Savage tech reps!

I got the model 22 Phoenix. Sorry, not tech savvy enough for pics. Matte blue action, 26" stainless 8-twist bbl, black/red webbed stock w/ vented forearm. It came w/ a factory mounted Farrell 20 moa base. I don't know if this is a good base or not, but I looked them up and retail is $118. Nice bonus plus no sales tax in MT.

Good choice. I have both the Savage and a Cooper 520, 1:8 twist, 26". Both rifles shoot .25-.5 MOA. The Farrel is a good mount. Both my rifles like Berger 140 VLD's seated .075" off the lands.

I have the 116 FCSS in 6.5 x 284, it has been a great gun so far. Plan on shooting the barrel out of it this year and getting a shilen barrel for it afterwards.

Having a little trouble figuring out the optimum OAL on this gun.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.