Tikka 6.5cm to 6.5x284 Norma

Sockeye66

I have a newer Tikka Superlite in 6.5cm and my original idea was to rechamber it to 6.5x284 Norma as I already have a rifle chambered for this cartridge and have dies and brass already. Is it worth the trouble and expense? The Norma I have is heavy and isn't a fun rifle to pack any distance. Any advice on this is much appreciated.

Depending on bullets, powders, and expected shots while hunting, a rebarrel may or may not make sense. If you have a particularly slow or shot out barrel and want to replace it anyway, the tikka is a great host. Swap out the bolt stop and grab a longer mag while you're at it.

Thanks for the comeback, my hope is that that a rechamber and a new bolt stop would be the major renovation and I'd end up with a couple hundred feet per second from the factory Tikka 24" tube.

Yes that would definitely be worth it in my opinion. Both are great calibers but the 6.5-284 is amazing. My go to hunting rifle for years now is a light weight 6.5-284. Good luck with it.

I think the caliber conversion is a phenomenal idea. I personally would not do it with the existing barrel.

My personal reasoning:
A gunsmith is going to have to remove the barrel, rechamber, headspace, and reinstall. Money spent on a tube with rounds sent down before. You will likely have to wait weeks to months to wait to get a gun back with a used, factory barrel. You're then putting a cartridge that tends to have lower round counts than average.

Either way, keep us posted with progress! Tikka actions are phenomenal and the 6.5x284 is a killer round.

Talk to @Shooter71 Shaen at Shaen Rifles in Cali, he does a lot of Tikka creed to prc Rechambers, I'm sure the 6.5x284 would be doable and cheaper as he won't need to open the bolt face. All the prc conversions I have saw him do, shoot great.

Last edited:
I know nothing about the Tikka actions but heard they are great! I have built several 6.5x284s using the Remington LA. Great hunting rifle! I like my barrels a little heavier so I use the Remington Varmint contour in 1-8 twist at 24 or 26 inches.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts