6.5x284 norma

Gator26

i see that savage chambers there new long range hunter in this round i was wondering what kind of an elk killer this could be say out to 700 yds i havent read much about this round but i would think it be to small for much more than white tail or antelope but i saw a comment on another site that suggest otherwise. anyone have any info. thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Well I know the benchrest guys are competing out to 1000 yards. If you watch the best of the west show you will find they either favor the 7MM or the 6.5X284. On the show have seen them kill elk out to 700 yards. But having said that it does not matter what caliber you shoot as we all know its all about shot placement no matter if your shooting a 22-250 or a 408 cheytac

The 6.5x.284 is a great elk round if you can put the bullet where it should be put.

I shoot a semi custom 6.5x284 norma. In the last 3 years i have shot deer elk and antelope out to 950 yards with 140 bergers no problem shooting elk at 700. Put in the correct place. mk

I'm looking for a rifle to shoot the 6.5x284 norma. I understand Savage has several. Which model would be best?

ANY bullet or for that matter arrow or the like will do the job if the animal is harvested. Proper placement is important. I am also a firm believer in choosing a combination that will provide better terminal performance when mother nature decides to take your properly placed shot and make it not so proper. I've experienced this more than once and will probably see the same for many more hunting seasons. If one has the option and choice and has not already limited their hunting combination, consider a more terminally ballistic capable round. This should get you out of "trouble", that is a not so properly placed bullet, more often than a less terminally ballistic combination. It's the individual's choice but I believe there are better long range elk options out there and my view is backed by experience as I'm sure there are those that will state the same about the arrow and such.

Last edited:
ANY bullet or for that matter arrow or the like will do the job if the animal is harvested. Proper placement is important. I am also a firm believer in choosing a combination that will provide better terminal performance when mother nature decides to take your properly placed shot and make it not so proper. I've experienced this more than once and will probably see the same for many more hunting seasons. If one has the option and choice and has not already limited their hunting combination, consider a more terminally ballistic capable round. This should get you out of "trouble", that is a not so properly placed bullet, more often than a less terminally ballistic combination. It's the individual's choice but I believe there are better long range elk options out there and my view is backed by experience as I'm sure there are those that will state the same about the arrow and such.

MMERSS
Nice rant. :D
Trapper picked up a 3 year old thread. I'm sure the OP has moved on.
The new topic is about Savage rifles. Enjoy!

MMERSS
Nice rant. :D
Trapper picked up a 3 year old thread. I'm sure the OP has moved on.
The new topic is about Savage rifles. Enjoy!

Glad you enjoyed reading the rant.:D Three years or three hours difference regarding a Savage rifle decision to the new "OP response" may still be worth the debate on a very old topic, at least to one individual.....the rest can enjoy the rant.:rolleyes:

I'm looking for a rifle to shoot the 6.5x284 norma. I understand Savage has several. Which model would be best?

Long range deer hunting, the Savage M111 LRH is a good option.
Long range target shooting, the Savage M12 is a good option.
Long range elk hunting, the Savage M111 LRH in 300 Win Mag is a good option (read "the rant" above).

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.