6.5'S APPLES to APPLES (Sherman, Gibbs, A.I.)

I am also very interested in the 6.5 Sherman , do you rent a reamer for a one time chamber job ??

I'd prefer to use my own smith for the work, he's currently working on my 338 Edge and I informed him I have a 6.5 bbl on order, just haven't decided on which 6.5 yet, theres still time to twist my arm as I haven't picked up an action yet...

have a couple 5 gal buckets of clean once fired range brass mixed 25'06, 270win, 280rem and 30'06 that I can finally find a use for :D

I am also very interested in the 6.5 Sherman , do you rent a reamer for a one time chamber job ??

I'd prefer to use my own smith for the work, he's currently working on my 338 Edge and I informed him I have a 6.5 bbl on order, just haven't decided on which 6.5 yet, theres still time to twist my arm as I haven't picked up an action yet...

have a couple 5 gal buckets of clean once fired range brass mixed 25'06, 270win, 280rem and 30'06 that I can finally find a use for :D

Sounds like you have a good start on brass. Yes, I would rent the reamer for $30 plus shipping one direction. You would not be disappointed in the performance of this cartridge and it looks pretty MEAN to boot:D.......Rich

I have the reamer and I grew up in your state:D.....Rich

Well I dare say you made a good move. I've been thinking about a hunt out there for. Elk, its on my bucket list. My buddies sister is renovating a lodge not too far south of the Canadian border. I read the regulations and the whole A or B tag thing is confusing. What do they offer for a moose hunt? If I read correctly only a handful of tags are sold for them.

As for the Sherman I like the thought but wonder if that barrel will make it to 3000 rounds or not.

Funny thing, my buddy in high school had the last name of Sherman. He lived in Linwood.

I just got a creedmoor built last year the only way i'd leave it is if I could get 3000 fps without roasting barrels too quickly. How heavy of a kick is the Sherman? Need for a brake?

Rich,

We may need to speak one day. I was looking hard into building ( having one built) a 6.5x 284. This Sherman thing seems way cool and makes sense. How can I learn more and speak to you??

Mario

Rich,

We may need to speak one day. I was looking hard into building ( having one built) a 6.5x 284. This Sherman thing seems way cool and makes sense. How can I learn more and speak to you??

Mario

PM me and I will give you my phone #......Rich

Well I dare say you made a good move. I've been thinking about a hunt out there for. Elk, its on my bucket list. My buddies sister is renovating a lodge not too far south of the Canadian border. I read the regulations and the whole A or B tag thing is confusing. What do they offer for a moose hunt? If I read correctly only a handful of tags are sold for them.

As for the Sherman I like the thought but wonder if that barrel will make it to 3000 rounds or not.

Funny thing, my buddy in high school had the last name of Sherman. He lived in Linwood.

I just got a creedmoor built last year the only way i'd leave it is if I could get 3000 fps without roasting barrels too quickly. How heavy of a kick is the Sherman? Need for a brake?

The A tag favors archery (rut) and late Muzzle loading, while the B tag favors a longer rifle season. There are LOTS of moose in North Id. and the tags keep increasing every year. (If we can keep the %&^%$ wolves under control)!
At 300 rounds, there is no doubt that accuracy would probably go down some as would ANY round with that capacity. The recoil on the Sherman is not bad at all and I don't see any need for a brake......Rich

The 6.5 Sherman is just a great cartridge, gives great performance without going so extreme that you can't shoot normal bullets. By the end of the summer hopefully there will be three 6.5 Sherman's in our family, my barrel will be here today :D

Recoil is mild compared to performance but my dad had a Muscle brake put on his and had a cap cut so he could swap them and I have yet to see him shoot it without the brake, it's so sweet :D

Huntingtons should have a shipment of RWS 270 win brass in three months or so, I really want to give that a try!!

The A tag favors archery (rut) and late Muzzle loading, while the B tag favors a longer rifle season. There are LOTS of moose in North Id. and the tags keep increasing every year. (If we can keep the %&^%$ wolves under control)!
At 300 rounds, there is no doubt that accuracy would probably go down some as would ANY round with that capacity. The recoil on the Sherman is not bad at all and I don't see any need for a brake......Rich

Obviously I meant 3000 rounds:D

Like I said, we need to get the wolves under control. I went snowmobiling today and found this and also a calf eaten by those suckers......Rich

Attachments

• DSCF0462.jpg
    DSCF0462.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 64
  • DSCF0463.jpg
    DSCF0463.jpg
    130.5 KB · Views: 59
Yep they are beginning to be an issue here as well. The state is pushing for a hunting/trapping season now that they have been delisted and are no longer concidered an endangered species.

I would like to bow hunt myself but it does suck not to use the rifle if you have a good shoot at 2-300 yrds. But if I went we would only have a week or two to find an area and learn to hunt them.

On a side note we're taking the sleds out tomorrow for a ride. Can't wait to get out there.

About what kind of barrel life would you expect?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.