6.5mm 140 grain Amax

260 rem

How do these go on game namly red deer about the size of a mid size Elk over the 600meter mark they will be doing 3000-3100fps aprox at muzzle

How do these go on game namly red deer about the size of a mid size Elk over the 600meter mark they will be doing 3000-3100fps aprox at muzzle

I would think as long as you limit them to that range, they would probably work quite well. They are really expolsive at high velocity and won't penetrate but that can be a plus at long range. I still think I would try to shoot behind the shoulder though.....Rich

While I agree with Rich that if you place your shot right, you probably won't have a problem. But why limit yourself like that when the Berger 140grain VLD exists?

While I agree with Rich that if you place your shot right, you probably won't have a problem. But why limit yourself like that when the Berger 140grain VLD exists?

One reason is that the Bergers need 1800 fps+ to expand properly while the A-max needs much less. With the velocity the OP is going to be shooting at that may not be an issue but with many cartridges it is.

Scot E.

I have had them work quite well on our Reds over here (~380 m going at 3030), also my mate has consistently had very impressive kills at 600 m with the 162 amax in his 7mm mag (going 2950). Anyway, i'm sure they will work fine, but I plan to go with the 140 berger in my upcoming 6.5-06 AI as Ihave used them more often and trust em (unless they don't shoot then the amax will be the go). Good luck

The 162 A-max is devistating on deer sized game. I would not hesitate to shoot them out to a grand on deer and smaller animals (given the right conditions). I would imagine the 6.5 A-max would be great as well. IMO, shooting them at elk would be a strech over about 400-500 yds. Good luck.

One reason is that the Bergers need 1800 fps+ to expand properly while the A-max needs much less. With the velocity the OP is going to be shooting at that may not be an issue but with many cartridges it is.

Scot E.

Agree with Scott that the A-max needs less velocity, in fact much less IMO. I have not found the Bergers to expand at the 1800' as advertised, at least not with ANY consistency. The larger Bergers with more frontal area, may do better, but not in 6.5.....Rich

Nice! what was your load and MV?. Any pics of the terminal damage? If not, what did the wound look like at that distance?...Rich

I noticed in the video that he said "vld" but the A-Max is a secant ogive with a ballistic tip so vld would be appropriate. Not sure if that is what he meant or not?....Rich

Yes the bullet was a 140 amax, which i would consider to be a VLD bullet. The terminal damage looked like a good ol lead tip out of my 30-06. Entrance was about the size of my finger and exit was around golf ball size. Now i have shot a white tail with this same load at around sixty yards hit a rib on the way in and came apart on that rib, entrance was about softball size and only made it to the onside lung. Killed it but at 3200 fps impact velocity they will come apart. In my opinion if your impact velocity is around 2800 or less they will work great.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.