Berger Bullets 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 140 Grain

I have not had any experience with the Hybrids. I understand that the Hybrids have a thicker jacket than the hunting bullets. Given that, I would be hesitant to use them on game without getting some feedback on how they perform. Berger likely labels, and designs it as a hunting bullet for a good.

Have been using the 140 gr hybrid bullet the last 2 seasons out of a 6.5x284.

Before you start flaming me be aware that we tested these bullets at various distance into various media before we chose to try them on real hide.

End result after 3 elk, 4 deer and 3 antelope is that we prefer them. We are getting major internal damage (Just like the hunting VLD) as well as getting a couple to have an exit hole.

Personally - out of a factory rifle - they are twice as easy to get to fly straight and we are still getting major disruption on internals. Keep in mind that all kills have been between 150 and 525 yds.. Not sure how the thicker jacket will react once we start stretching the distance.

Have been using the 140 gr hybrid bullet the last 2 seasons out of a 6.5x284.

Before you start flaming me be aware that we tested these bullets at various distance into various media before we chose to try them on real hide.

End result after 3 elk, 4 deer and 3 antelope is that we prefer them. We are getting major internal damage (Just like the hunting VLD) as well as getting a couple to have an exit hole.

Personally - out of a factory rifle - they are twice as easy to get to fly straight and we are still getting major disruption on internals. Keep in mind that all kills have been between 150 and 525 yds.. Not sure how the thicker jacket will react once we start stretching the distance.

No flaming from me.....glad to hear of some real life experiences with the Hybrid. I have had great results with the 142 JLK VLD from 50-1000 yards on deer. Only problem is that they are a special item available only through BOTW. Swamp claims his 140's should perform identically as they both have the same jacket and BC.

Here's what ONE 140 Hybrid Target did to ONE elk heart.
336 yards. 6.5-284 LRH. 2750 @the muzzle.
20141007_214806_resized.jpg

I find the 140 hybrid to be inconsistent in structural performance (not terminal performance) after seeing well over 20 deer fall to them the recovered bullets have shown that some didn't open but nosed over and caused just as much damage. Often they are not recovered with a quarter size exit, internal damage has been good (sufficient) accuracy has been without equal and I will continue to use them for my application.

2920 fps
250- 780 yards with most shot between 500 and 650

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.