6.5br Hybrid Build

Man I love where this is going it's basically a 6.5 turbo 35?
I can't get past how Awsome this round would be in an ar.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 6mmturbo 40 but with the 6mm you need a decent length barrel and as we know the bigger the bore the shorter the barrel can be for same speed. Plus 6.5 so I thought the 6.5 would be great in an 18" tube.
I love the way you come up with these. Wish I had the knowledge.

I get your need to wildcat, I do own a 30 BR that shoots lights out with a 108 gr bullet (the gun in my profile pic) it can run that light bullet up to 3200fps.
Appreciate the advice. What better ways would you use? Thanks

I would use 284 brass and order a form die to size the length you want, I do this now for the hard to get 6.5 Rem Mag, I use 7rem mag and form it. Must use new brass. Only issue here is wether you can size the base to your short chamber.

Man I love where this is going it's basically a 6.5 turbo 35?
I can't get past how Awsome this round would be in an ar.
I almost pulled the trigger on a 6mmturbo 40 but with the 6mm you need a decent length barrel and as we know the bigger the bore the shorter the barrel can be for same speed. Plus 6.5 so I thought the 6.5 would be great in an 18" tube.
I love the way you come up with these. Wish I had the knowledge.
You could do it, trust me. All basic math and heavy welding gear for testing :) Great entertainment for the wife too

I get your need to wildcat, I do own a 30 BR that shoots lights out with a 108 gr bullet (the gun in my profile pic) it can run that light bullet up to 3200fps.

I would use 284 brass and order a form die to size the length you want, I do this now for the hard to get 6.5 Rem Mag, I use 7rem mag and form it. Must use new brass. Only issue here is wether you can size the base to your short chamber.
That is a lot more work and expense though. The brass is working fine. Basic set of 6.5-284 dies shortened. Other than that, just fireform and go. Where in the concept can you make it easier, cheaper or more efficient for the case? That is what I'm interested in. Maximize the 6br case

Got it out today and shot 20 rounds from std 6.5br to fireform. This was the last 2 groups of 4 rounds at 130yds. Nothing amazing, but a good start. Prone with a bipod and rear bag under the handle in the dirt.
04877529-C03A-4779-B7CE-5D095313A482.jpeg

Honestly, your projects may not be mainstream or tickle everyone's fancy but I do admire the general ambition to tinker you seem to have. I mentioned it in another thread too but cudos on that. Makes me want to pick up a used lathe, some cheap blanks and a couple reamers to play with. Only problem is I never have time and I've never used a lathe... I'll agree that when you dial in an idea, the best practice would be to buy a custom reamer and form the closest body dimension brass to that reamer but I don't see any harm in doing it your way to see if it's worthwhile in the beginning. Especially if you already have the components on hand.

Honestly, your projects may not be mainstream or tickle everyone's fancy but I do admire the general ambition to tinker you seem to have. I mentioned it in another thread too but cudos on that. Makes me want to pick up a used lathe, some cheap blanks and a couple reamers to play with. Only problem is I never have time and I've never used a lathe... I'll agree that when you dial in an idea, the best practice would be to buy a custom reamer and form the closest body dimension brass to that reamer but I don't see any harm in doing it your way to see if it's worthwhile in the beginning. Especially if you already have the components on hand.
Time is always the issue. I am blessed to have a great job that allows time off in blocks and I don't sleep a lot, so that helps :) It's all basic math and I guarantee you'd love it if you got a lathe

Here are some more tests:
Lapua 6br brass fireformed
120 SMK
27-33gr IMR 8208
CC450
No pressure signs yet. Next will be groups at 100
4C57F441-F648-4DD5-85F1-B55352DBC686.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.