6.5br Hybrid Build

I don't want to cut down the stretch, because I'm trying to maximize the cartridge and brass. 6.5 Creedmoor reamer was another idea, but I wanted the sphere/ball/ fatty cartridge. Almost like a 243wssm, but use on a std short action
Safety would be my real concern creating a "rebated" rim by fireforming. Blown up rifles almost always begin with catastrophic case failure. If the case is somewhat compromised it doesn't take excessive or even normal pressure to rupture.
As your friend i ask that you please attack this with caution. I am not preaching because I have not done it, just trying to be a second set of eyes.

Safety is always the concern. I like math so I do it before playing around with cartridges, I just don't post everything. The .017" increase in diameter only equates to a ~3% increase in circumference. The walls were ~.030" on the last piece of brass I cut and measured, so the walls will still be ~.029" thick. plenty imo. Again, if you don't hear from me for a few days, call the coroner :)

Safety is always the concern. I like math so I do it before playing around with cartridges, I just don't post everything. The .017" increase in diameter only equates to a ~3% increase in circumference. The walls were ~.030" on the last piece of brass I cut and measured, so the walls will still be ~.029" thick. plenty imo. Again, if you don't hear from me for a few days, call the coroner :)
Thickness of the sidewalls .shouldn't be a problem but rather the ductility of the thicker brass in the web area. Can it readily reform without fracture? As in a "press brake" thicker material will always fracture easier than sheet metal when trying to form it to the same contours. The "bending" of the interior web outwards may initiate an interior and unseen "tear". That's why I mentioned sectioning (spitting) some fired cases for inspection.
Call me a "worry wart".

Thickness of the sidewalls .shouldn't be a problem but rather the ductility of the thicker brass in the web area. Can it readily reform without fracture? As in a "press brake" thicker material will always fracture easier than sheet metal when trying to form it to the same contours. The "bending" of the interior web outwards may initiate an interior and unseen "tear". That's why I mentioned sectioning (spitting) some fired cases for inspection.
Call me a "worry wart".
I'd rather put a mustache on the Mona Lisa with a sharpie than cut a piece of good Lapua brass .... but ok. I'll take a 3x fired piece and post some pics of it cut

Here is the cutaway of a 3x fired case
FB65AA09-AD8A-4BE7-AA50-89C964A6A76D.jpeg

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.