6.5 Saum with Hornady 6.5 4s dies

• Thread starter Deleted member 25294
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 25294

Does anyone know if there is anything different in the case design of the GAP 6.5 4s verses the regular 6.5 saum?
I see that GAP is selling a set of Hornady 6.5 4s dies, and would like to know if it would work to run 7mm saum brass through it for a non GAP 6.5 saum chambering?
What are people using to form the 6.5 saum cases from 7 saum

A die without a bushing will size the brass down considerably smaller than desired.

Most people use redding bushing dies with a .295 or .296 bushing for the initial sizing, then trim and then turn the necks and size again with a .291 or .290 bushing.

7 saum brass will be too long after sizing down the first time and will need to be trimmed a lot.

If you are going to run he Hornady 6.5 Gap brass the Hornady die will probably work fine but will still probably overwork the necks as most standard dies do.

I have the Hornady 6.5 GAP 4S dies . After running through the sizer, the OD of my necks are: .286" (no expander installed).

After running just the expander through the necks, they measure .291"

.005" difference. No idea if thats a lot of brass abuse or not. Sure doesn't seem like much compared to the abuse brass takes when that powder ignites.

I have the Hornady 6.5 GAP 4S dies . After running through the sizer, the OD of my necks are: .286" (no expander installed).

After running just the expander through the necks, they measure .291"

.005" difference. No idea if thats a lot of brass abuse or not. Sure doesn't seem like much compared to the abuse brass takes when that powder ignites.

Is your rifle chambered specifically in the 4S version of the 6.5 saum?
Are you using the Hornady dies to form the cases from 7mm or do you use other dies for that?
Thanks for the responses

I have the GAP 4S version. Brass prep is pretty much the same between the two. You may not have to turn necks with certain brass, if you use a reamer with a larger neck. From what I've read, if you start with 300 brass, you have to turn no matter what reamer your gun was built with.

The brass I took the measurements on was Remington 300 SAUM brass. Resized, neck turned, etc. It came with the gun.

I have the Hornady brass as well. That takes no extra steps. Ready to load and shoot, no matter what version you have. Easiest way to get going and the brass is cheap, compared to Nosler and Norma 7mm SAUM brass. Mixed reviews on how long the brass lasts. I'm going to try and load for 3000-3050 FPS and see if it'll last.

I just bought some Remington 7mm SAUM (x220) and 300 SAUM (x50) brass. I'm planning on running the 7mm brass through the Hornady 6.5 dies. 1 step. I'll probably buy a 7mm SAUM sizing die to do the 300 in 2 stages. Likely wont touch the 300 brass until everything else is toast. I'll probably need a new barrel by then.

Brass dimensions are exactly the same (other than maybe the neck, depending on the reamer used). I think the difference is mostly in the throat area. The way I understand it, the COAL on the GAP 4S is shorter (bullet reaches lands sooner), making it fit in a short action better. I can't see a reason the Hornady dies wont work.

Awesome thanks for all the input. I'm still considering this round and affordable dies are a good start, I've never messed with wildcats but the brass prep doesn't seem too insane.
I'm starting with a 7mm that has a max oal of 3.35 so the 6.5 saum would fit nicely loaded out long. My reason for going to the 6.5 saum is to get the recoil down for a very light rifle (5.9 lbs), would you consider the recoil pretty mild with the 140's?

I have a brake on mine and it's at least 9 pounds scoped. I had a Kimber Montana in 270 WSM prior to this gun. Recoil wasn't bad on it, even with heavier bullets and more powder. It'll probably feel like a 308 Winchester. Thats about with my 270 WSM was like.

Just an FYI, there's some Hornady brass for sale in the classifieds. I know, I posted it earlier today.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.