Help with 6.5 SAUM GAP 4S Body Die

Deviant

I got a defective barrel but they replaced it for me and now my fire formed brass that has been sized and annealed is slightly too large for the new chamber. My question is can I use a 7MM SAUM body die to bump the shoulder back a few thousandths rather than fully resize all of these? Or do I need to buy a Redding 6.5 Saum bushing die and use it without the bushing installed?

Thanks,

Al

The 7 SAUM die will be able to bump the shoulder. With it being a new chamber you may have to FL resize though as the body may be causing the tight closing. If it is the body you will likely see some indication on the case near the case head. Bump it with the 7 SAUM die and see if it fixes the issue, if not you need likely need to FL resize. Also are you sure you have proper neck clearance?

The 7 SAUM die will be able to bump the shoulder. With it being a new chamber you may have to FL resize though as the body may be causing the tight closing. If it is the body you will likely see some indication on case near the case head.
They have been sized with a Whidden FL sizing die. I measured the test round that they sent and the shoulder is about .003 shorter than the brass that I have thats been full length sized and the shoulder bumped back .002 for my old chamber.

Thanks,

If I was doing what you are wanting to do, I would use a 6.5 bushing die with a bushing that was .002' larger than the loaded neck diameter.

They have been sized with a Whidden FL sizing die. I measured the test round that they sent and the shoulder is about .003 shorter than the brass that I have thats been full length sized and the shoulder bumped back .002 for my old chamber.

Thanks,

I'm confused why you don't want to FL size?
It's always a good idea to FL size brass that was shot in another chamber.
Don't you already have a Whidden FL die? What brass are you using?

If you use a 7 SAUM die it won't bump the shoulder back far enough, the 6.5 SAUM has a slightly shorter case length to prevent it from chambering in a 7 saum, at least mine does.

Edd's idea would be the best bet. A .005" bump isn't that significant and your not moving that much material but it does have to go somewhere and having the proper bushing to keep neck diameter down would be ideal. If you already FL sized them then just screw your FL die in a bit more to push the shoulder back the extra .005" or if you have Redding shell holders pick the appropriate one and push them back that way

I'm confused why you don't want to FL size?
It's always a good idea to FL size brass that was shot in another chamber.
Don't you already have a Whidden FL die? What brass are you using?

If you use a 7 SAUM die it won't bump the shoulder back far enough, the 6.5 SAUM has a slightly shorter case length to prevent it from chambering in a 7 saum, at least mine does.
I already did fl size all 100 pieces and bumped the shoulder back .002 for the old chamber. They are now .005 too long to fit in the new chamber. I am just trying to avoid having to resize everything and expand the necks again just to bump the shoulder back if that makes sense. Redding doesn't make a body die for a 6.5 SAUM or I would just buy one of those.

I thought you were sizing loaded ammo. If it is just brass, what's the mystery? Just use the correct FL bushing die and resize them.

I thought you were sizing loaded ammo. If it is just brass, what's the mystery? Just use the correct FL bushing die and resize them.
Was hoping just to use a cheaper body die rather than buy a new bushing die that I will only use once since I have a Whidden FL sizing die. But didn't know if a 7mm SAUM body die would work.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts