Help with 6.5 SAUM GAP 4S Body Die

I'm confused. I thought you said your new chamber was .003" shorter than your sized brass? So I was saying to bump it .005" and move on. That would give you .002" clearance. Now if your saying they are .005" too long then bump them .007" with your body die or your FL, whichever method you prefer and you should be good

Is the head space correct? If the old brass is within specs, and new formed brass is also too tight, then I would suspect that the chamber has insufficient headspace. If that's the case and the reciever was not blue printed, then I would disassemble the reciever and bolt and then lap the bolt recoil lugs to the reciever. You might be able to gain a few thousands to obtain the correct head space. If the lugs have already been lapped, then the chamber needs to be lengthened slightly. this needs to be done by hand with a finish chamber reamer so it can be checked constantly so it is not cut too deep. I would check the head space before I would mess with the brass. With the price of the brass, 20 to 25 pieces of ruined brass would cost more than a set of go-no go gauges.

To other people's point, first check that your chamber is in spec now.

If it is, I would take a new piece of brass and fire it in the chamber. I would then full length resize it with .002-.003 shoulder bump. Chamber it to see if you are satisfied.

Then take 2-3 pieces of the brass in question and run it through the die without adjusting it. If the resistance feels heavy try 2-3 intermediate strokes instead of trying to do it all in one. Make sure you lube your cases well. Check the brass for dimension and fit.

At that point you should know if your die is going to be sufficient and if that lot of brass is trashed or not.

Have you tried a factory round in the chamber?
No I have a fired piece of brass from the factory round that the Smith fired in the chamber. It is .003 shorter than my fire formed and resized Bertram brass from my old chamber so I need to bump the shoulder on my old brass back .005 to fit in the new chamber and have .002 clearance if that makes sense.

No I have a fired piece of brass from the factory round that the Smith fired in the chamber. It is .003 shorter than my fire formed and resized Bertram brass from my old chamber so I need to bump the shoulder on my old brass back .005 to fit in the new chamber and have .002 clearance if that makes sense.

I agree. You should be good after doing that.

Let us know how you make out.

I already did fl size all 100 pieces and bumped the shoulder back .002 for the old chamber. They are now .005 too long to fit in the new chamber. I am just trying to avoid having to resize everything and expand the necks again just to bump the shoulder back if that makes sense. Redding doesn't make a body die for a 6.5 SAUM or I would just buy one of those.
Then You NEED to FL the brass. No if, and, but a about it. Otherwise you're gonna run into problems with cycling & accuracy. Hope you dont find this too be TRUE in the field after LOSING A TROPHY! Theosmithjr

Then You NEED to FL the brass. No if, and, but a about it. Otherwise you're gonna run into problems with cycling & accuracy. Hope you dont find this too be TRUE in the field after LOSING A TROPHY! Theosmithjr
I bought a Redding type s bushing die and plan to bump the shoulder back on all 100 rounds. With the right bushing installed I shouldn't have to expand the necks again at least. I will use these first 100 rounds to break in the barrel so accuracy isn't an issue as of now. Hopefully I can get my hands on some ADG brass soon.

Thanks,

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.