6.5 SAUM 4s dies?

JJMoody

6.5 SAUM fellas, what are you all running for dies? I've seen a few different ones out there. GAP has the Redding type s dies for $253 Whidden has their dies for $195 ish. Hornady makes some cheaper ones.... I'll have a rifle put together by the end of the week and need some help/advice!! Thanks

I'm using Redding 7 Saum FL bushing dies without the expander ball/decapping rod. I already had a RCBS Competition Seater and the 6.5 mm internals. Although I'm using a 6mm seater plug with VLDs.

Fully prepped Norma 7 saum brass were included with the rifle so I haven't formed any yet. I plan on necking down 7 saum brass when I need to form.

To form with my setup: neck down with a .295 bushing, run over a 6.5 expander ball, trim and turn necks to .015, and neck down with a .291 bushing. You need to turn into the shoulder slightly to prevent the dreaded donut as the Redding bushing dies won't size the full length of the neck. (I don't think the Whidden do either) I have the .298 neck, .081 fb reamer but the only difference with a .296 neck is you might have to turn to .0145 I believe.

With 300 saum brass most step down in 3 or 4 increments.

6.5 SAUM fellas, what are you all running for dies? I've seen a few different ones out there. GAP has the Redding type s dies for $253 Whidden has their dies for $195 ish. Hornady makes some cheaper ones.... I'll have a rifle put together by the end of the week and need some help/advice!! Thanks

I'm using the hornady dies and really like them.
I'm running norma 7saum brass through the fl die without the expander. Then using a k&m 6.5 expander mandrel before neck turning, and trimming.
Really a simple process, I don't see why so many complain about the brass prep.
Good luck you're gonna love your 6.5 Saum.

Using the whidden set with full length bushing die. Running a .290 Redding TiC bushing. The thing shoots like the clappers. Very very pleased. Also have the dasher dies from whidden. Very pleased with them. Easy to read the micrometer without thinking too hard. Finish on the inside of the die is fantastic. I have Forster and Redding as well but if I can get em for the same price or cheaper I'll tend to slide to whidden. They are worth a lil wait. Some have said that the whidden seater isn't at times very accurate with numbers. But if u find that. Let em know and I'm sure they will take care of you.

The Part of me that loves to tinker wants to form my brass from Norma/Nosler. But my practical side wants headstamped hornady. Also what are the most common bushing sizes?

The Part of me that loves to tinker wants to form my brass from Norma/Nosler. But my practical side wants headstamped hornady. Also what are the most common bushing sizes?

Generally with a .296 neck .290-.291 are used and the .298 neck uses .292-.293. It depends on what the necks are turned to and the amount of neck tension you want to run.

I will probably try the Hornady brass eventually but some were reporting loose primer pockets after 2-3 firings on the earlier runs. How are yours holding up Citius?

Ok, so I spoke to Ryan Pierce and Piercision and he was a great help. I'm now planning on 100 (at least) pieces of Hornady brass and the Whidden dies. Good guy to talk to also and a site sponsor to boot.

Definitely won't be disappointed with the whidden sir the hornady brass I have had my brass go through tons of reloads. Only 2 so far and the pockets feel like they just came from the factory still. Running RL26 which helps with the pressure too. Highly recommend that stuff.

So, now on to powders. I was thinking H1000. Citius, you're running RL26? Ok, so does that bring up RL33,Retumbo etc and some slower powders? I'll be running a 26" Christensen Arms carbon wrapped bbl. 1-8 twist. BTW, Ryan Pierce was a great guy to order from. Highly recommend piercision.

Yes running RL26 haha. It was hilarious when we did the ladder test on it at 100 to see velocity nodes. They all shot through the same hole! The thing is pretty amazing. Running a 26 inch mullerworks barrel. Using tulammo magnum large Primers. No issues all the way up to 3220 fps. But I know the primer nor the brass really won't tell a story of pressure. I'll get u the grains. We are running 135 JLK bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts