6.5 Reloder 23 help

4thHorseman

Any of you reloading 6.5-06/6.5280 or 6.5PRC using reloder 23?
I am trying to work up a load for a 6.5x65 rws in a 98 Mauser action with a LW 24 inch barrel.
I used starting data for a 6.5PRC since they have about the same capacities. I made up 2 cartridge loads with 140 gr interlocks in .5 gr progression from 48 to 54.5 grains. I hit pancake flat primers at 51grains, but only ever so slight bolt lift pressure and no ejector marks. I pulled down the rest of the loads and reloaded them all to 50 grains to keep breaking in the barrel. I don't have a chrono at this time, so until I get one I am not going to load any hotter.
Any of you loading similar rounds ? What kind of speeds and loads are you able to get?

Thanks
MH

I'm not shooting your particular combo, but I'm also searching for some experiences with Re23 as it relates to the Quickload software. In my very limited experience, it appears the burn rate is off of the anticipated Quickload data and appears to burn more like a hypothetical Re18. I wanted to see if others could validate, but what you experienced is exactly as I did with a 300 Win Mag and two different bullets. I hit pressure signs very early in the development. I have a LabRadar, and the velocities were substantially higher than anticipated as well. I'm curious if someone has reformulated the Quickload information for this powder. Unscientifically, I took Re19 and just nudged the burn rate a smidge faster, and the velocities and (probably) pressure are what I would have anticipated based on what I'm seeing for pressure signs. The load density would not be correct using the modified Re19, but the velocities are right on, and pressures are probably much more correct. Again, limited exposure. I'd also wonder if there has been a patch to the software if Re23 has been reformulated in the software itself. When I got Quickload, Re23 was brand new. Sorry to partially rob your post, but what you're seeing lines up with my experiences.

No problem Mark.
I picked up a chrono for Christmas. As soon as I can get to the range I will see what velocities I am getting on these loads.

Finally got some time and a clear day at the range.
Results of 2 strings through my PC2 crony.
1st 3 round string of 50 Gr RL 23 behind a 140gr interlock resulted in an average of 2660 fps in my 24" barrel.
2nd 3 round string of 51 gr RL23 resulted in 2699, 2703, 2702.
All loads in RWS brass at .02 off lands. 3rd loading on the brass.
The 51 gr loads resulted in mixed results of flattened primers and slightly sticky bolt lift. No other pressure sighns.
I have loaded 2 rounds each in 51.2, 51.4, and 51.6 for the next outing.
The rifle only has about 20 rounds down the tube at this point.
Questions for y'all,
1. Are these speeds in line with your results with RL23?
2. Will the speed come up after more rounds?
3. How much bolt lift stick is acceptable?

Thanks,
Horseman

I'm not shooting your particular combo, but I'm also searching for some experiences with Re23 as it relates to the Quickload software. In my very limited experience, it appears the burn rate is off of the anticipated Quickload data and appears to burn more like a hypothetical Re18. I wanted to see if others could validate, but what you experienced is exactly as I did with a 300 Win Mag and two different bullets. I hit pressure signs very early in the development. I have a LabRadar, and the velocities were substantially higher than anticipated as well. I'm curious if someone has reformulated the Quickload information for this powder. Unscientifically, I took Re19 and just nudged the burn rate a smidge faster, and the velocities and (probably) pressure are what I would have anticipated based on what I'm seeing for pressure signs. The load density would not be correct using the modified Re19, but the velocities are right on, and pressures are probably much more correct. Again, limited exposure. I'd also wonder if there has been a patch to the software if Re23 has been reformulated in the software itself. When I got Quickload, Re23 was brand new. Sorry to partially rob your post, but what you're seeing lines up with my experiences.
A RL 18 would be great as well as a RL 30.

Below is a quickload map for 6.5-06 and 140 NAB. RL 33 provides the highest velocity of the RL powders followed by 26, 25, 22, 19 and 23.

Good luck and shoot straight y'all

Last edited:
Hey Kat, I think you mean RL-33 is the slowest burning powder by RL. Maybe you meant it gives the fastest velocity?

I have always had good speeds and accuracy w. RL23 in moderate capacity cases like 6.5-06AI, 6.5SS, 6.5SAUM. Usually with less charge weight than H1000 as well. 1.5-2gr less than H1000 will yield the same speeds and pressure. So in cases that max out capacity of H1000 (like my 25SST w. 131 Blackjacks) and not hit pressure, RL23 works a bit better for velocity gains.
My .280AI uses 58.0gr RL23 under a 175 Elite @ 2976fps, or 60.2gr H1000 under a 160TMK @ 2991fps.
I also use it in cases like .264WM, 7RM to get good speeds with heavier bullets.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.