Reloder 23, 280AI & 168 gr. Berger C.H.

STEEL SLINGER

The last few weeks here I've had the pleasure of burning a pound + of Reloder 23 in my 280AI. . . and seem to like it a lot!!! I was really stoked with the RL26 and it's velocities, but didn't like the temp swing. I shot in temps from 37 degrees to 91 degrees (coastal N.W. central Fl weather) and over a 65 shot average I came up with about 1 to 1.25 fps per degree in temp change! ! ! That really disappointed me, I thought that stuff was the "Magic Pixy Dust". . .loved everything about it until I started reading about it's temp swings. Also, in that time frame I was working in RL23 and finished up my findings this afternoon. Although averaging only 50/55 fps slower than the RL26, the RL23 only swung 14 degrees in the same temps!!! That was uplifting for me. My ES/SD were not too shabby either. I've only seen one other post on the RL23 and it was for the 25/06. . .just wondering why people haven't jumped on this band wagon over the RL26? I'm going to try a little in my 6.5x55 SWEDE. . .RL26 made that old girl come alive at 50 grains, I hope the RL23 can find a sweet spot as well.

280AI 26" Krieger 1/9 tw.
Norma fire-formed 280 Rem brass
Fed 215M primer
Berger 168 gr. Classic Hunter COAL on ogive 2.800
59.3 gr. Reloder23
2987 fps av. with ES/SD of 23/11
1/2 MOA @ 100 yds.

That's kinda what I thought that's why I posted my experience with it in the 25-06. I haven't really heard anyone talking about RL23. I think it will be a great choice in slightly overbore cartridges. I'm going to run it through the chrono this coming weekend. It's supposed to be around 20-25 colder this weekend than it was last weekend. Hoping I have the same results you did as far as velocity changes.

Lee31,

I did read on the Alliant website that RL26 was a "predictable" temp stability. . .I didn't think it would swing up and down the pendulum as much as it does. I was almost heart broken!!! I had several rifles dialed in with the stuff and velocities/pressures were off the chain perfect. . .very sad. RL26 is basically Supercharged RL22? ? ? Living here in Florida doing most of my shooting here as well, doesn't do me any good when I travel. I am going to a friends airstrip this weekend to stretch the legs of some rifles. . .RL23 in stoked up in my range bag and I'll be putting it through the paces again, but so far I'm liking it a lot in my 280AI. Keep us all posted and I'll be doing the same. Thanks.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.