6.5 PRC Long Action BDL

Sevens

I have a long action Defiance Anti sitting around I'm thinking of using for a 6.5 PRC. I would like to use the hinged BDL floorplate setup, which brings me to my question. Is there a long action PRC box for the 6.5? Read some reports that the 300PRC box isn't cut right?

Appreciate feedback on which option would be the best when going BDL for the 6.5 PRC.

Call Wyatts and see if they've made a long action box for the 6.5 prc yet. The 300 prc box has the window cut in the wrong spot to feed the 6.5 reliably. If they haven't made the 6.5 boxes to correct that problem you can get a box with no cut out and cut your own in the correct spot.

I know you are wanting the Hinged floor plate, however Hawkins has the Hunter DBM, this is a flush design so no box hanging down to the trigger guard, they also have it setup to use the 6.5 PRC in L/A, you just install a spacer kit in the mag to have reliable feeding. I think it is the closest you can get, at this time, to a 6.5 PRC in a L/A.

Is there a spacer available for an internal magazine box? Reminiscent to the one used to reduce the length from 308 to 223 in the s/a Remington. Planning to build a l/a magnum action into a 6.5 saum hunting rifle so proper feeding is desirable.
Thanks in advance for any help you may provide. God bless.

If you want super reliable feeding without having to mess around tweaking and bending an internal box magazine just get a center feed box from Wyatts. All you need to do then is open or close the feed lips to get the cartridge to sit up where you want it, and they will feed out of it flawlessly. Only downside is having to load the magazine from the bottom.

Hawkins DBM with their mag block and adjusted follower would be the way to go. I have it set in two of my rifles. Works great
The Hawkins DBM would require him to have a stock with an M5 inlet. If he has a BDL inlet he would need to go with the internal magazine. I believe HS Precision also makes a low profile detachable magazine system for the BDL inlet. Not sure if they have any magazines specific to the 6.5 prc in a long action but I'm pretty sure a 6.5 prc case would feed from a 300 prc magazine.

I used a HS Precision L/A bottom metal with the 6.5 PRC mag on my rifle. You will have to tweak it a little by bending the feed lips, but after that you shouldn't have any problems. This is what it would look like. This was a 7mm RUM.
20200811_182546.jpg

I'm just here curious why some people prefer a floor plate to a box mag?
I've only ever had one floorplate and hated it

For hunting,smoother bottom when stalking,quiet,can't loose your magazine,ask any guide about that oh shxx look on a client face.On most guns, it's easier to throw a single round in,than a mag fed. For me it scratches the inside door panel on my p/u when shooting yotes.Factory mag fed remingtons or any flush/tapered mags work well. Some Browning bolts have best of both worlds,magazine attached to floor plate.

I'm just here curious why some people prefer a floor plate to a box mag?
I've only ever had one floorplate and hated it

For many, it is very much a preference & circumstance type of decision. I too have no use for a floor plate but, my circumstances allow for mag feeding. As stated above, out the window of a truck, the mag causes issues; I totally understand.

In one of my dedicated hunting rigs, I use the HS Precision DBM. Being a flush mount, it doesn't snag & fits tight enough that unless something catastrophic happens, there won't be an oh-crap moment. On the other hand, it still offers the handiness of a detachable mag.

t

The Hawkins DBM would require him to have a stock with an M5 inlet. If he has a BDL inlet he would need to go with the internal magazine. I believe HS Precision also makes a low profile detachable magazine system for the BDL inlet. Not sure if they have any magazines specific to the 6.5 prc in a long action but I'm pretty sure a 6.5 prc case would feed from a 300 prc magazine.
Yep your right must have had a brain fart

Not a M700 or clone but I built my 6.5PRC on a Win M70 LA donor. Donor was a 264WM CRF. Works fine with the 264 factory mag and follower. I'm sure you can find 264WM, 7RM, or 300WM bottom metal and mag w/ follower here on LRH. Also, I believe Hawkins sells a tool for adjusting feed lips if needed also. Just a suggestion. I would think someone here has done or tried this and would comment.