6.5 prc heavy bullet twist rate

TriggerTime426

I'm lookin into what twist rate I should get for a 6.5 prc barrel that I will probably be shooting the berger 156 eol for big game, it's between a 8, 7.5, and a 7 twist. Seeing if anyone has any experience with this particular bullet (the barrel will be 25-26 in)

I called Berger and they said 1:8 usually works fine, but 1:7.75 or 1:7.5 is ideal. I still went with a 1:7 twist for my 6.5 PRC that is being built for better stability with the monometals in addition to the Berger. The problem that you might run into is too fast of RPMs if you jack up velocity. I read that you want to keep it under 300,000 RPMs. Formula Being Velocity x 720 / twist rate. So at 3000fps, your RPMs would be 308,000. A little above that general rule of thumb, but I think it should be ok. Browning is now chambering most of their 6.5s in 1:7 twists too.

Yes my browning hells canyon long range has the 1:7 twist. I have some 156 bergers loaded in ADG brass with H1000 to test out.

Thanks for the info lemme no how those 156s shoot...I have a target rifle in 6.5 prc with 8 twist and it shoots the 147 eld very well also with h1000....might be best going in between and goin with the 7.5 twist

1-7.5 is about perfect for a 6.5 PRC running the 156 Berger's. Not too fast to worry about over-spinning bullets at high RPMs, but fast enough for the 150-156s.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts