300 prc twist rate

snox801

ok so starting a new prc improved build.
Was going for light weight and see that proof only offers the sendero light in 9 twist and sendero in 8 twist. Plane on running the 214 hammers which will work in the 9. That being said would I lose anything not going to an 8 for maybe the hammer heavier than that? I'm thinking when you get to that length it eats up to much case to be worth it. And I'm sure I can run the atips in the 9 for targets and be fine. Any reason not to use the sendero light and lose a 1/4 lbs of weight. It's mainly a hunting rifle and I won't shoot long strings.

I personally think a 9 twist is plenty in a 30cal w/ 100gr capacity. The bullets that are heavier and require more twist, will not out pace the lighter ones enough ballisticly to make them of any advantage. 9 twist is good for 230 Bergers, atips, 198 flatline, 214 hammers, if you want to step up to 245 Berger or 250 a tip, you need a bigger case to use em. I would get a paradigm carbon 1:9 twist. They have a sendero light profile but have shown little to no poi shift after 50 shot strings. They have rock creek blanks, so they're quality, patriot Valley is one their distributors.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.