6.5 PRC GAP.....Am I crazy to shoot them

Longtine88

Ok, I bought the rifle wardmartin had for sale. It's a 6.5 PRC by GAP that Ward worked with them for a hunt that never materialized. 22" proof barrel short action Mack Bros. action. The very first ladder went with RL 26 & 156 EOL's. Started the ladder at 55.0 grains went to 58.0 grains. Long story short node found between 57.4 and 57.9. Loaded 3 at the 57.6 mark and 3 shot's were .269" average velocity 3,001!!! That's a 22" barrel. No pressure signs and primers where not flat nada. So I loaded up 7 more and shot them 1 minute between shots. All 7 shots went into 0.494" center to center. 100 yards. So I'm not getting pressure signs. Shot's are consistent. Gonna shoot at 600 yds and 1000 yds this weekend. So I'm thinking I'm stopping here if these shoot but with RL 26 being a little sensitive to temps I'll just pick my days' shooting. Today it was 60 degrees.

Thanks Ward for the rifle and thanks GAP for your as always awesome rifles.

Needless to say it is shot suppressed.

IMG_3593.jpeg
IMG_3592.jpeg
IMG_3591.jpeg

I spoke with the guys at Berger and they gave me load data with the 156 and RL26 with 57.8 being there best load. Running at 2978 FPS from a 24" barrel. Your right there with what they mentioned, nice job. I've got a 6.5 PRC from Kampfeld with a 22" proof also and have a 156 test planned and also the 131 Hammer Hunter. Both to be juiced with RL26. Keep us posted and nice rig.

Attachments

• 1BAD43B0-8A45-4FFB-A8C8-FE69CEA42CB4.jpeg
    1BAD43B0-8A45-4FFB-A8C8-FE69CEA42CB4.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 240
I spoke with the guys at Berger and they gave me load data with the 156 and RL26 with 57.8 being there best load. Running at 2978 FPS from a 24" barrel. Your right there with what they mentioned, nice job. I've got a 6.5 PRC from Kampfeld with a 22" proof also and have a 156 test planned and also the 131 Hammer Hunter. Both to be juiced with RL26. Keep us posted and nice rig.
Well my first intention was to run the 123 absolutes in this rifle and get the higher speeds out of the short barrel. Just never dreamed I would get 3000+ out of the 156's. I have two other prc's one being made and the other a switch barre Zeus action that I was going to use the longer barrel for the heavier bullets.

Well my first intention was to run the 123 absolutes in this rifle and get the higher speeds out of the short barrel. Just never dreamed I would get 3000+ out of the 156's. I have two other prc's one being made and the other a switch barre Zeus action that I was going to use the longer barrel for the heavier bullets.
What's your COAL or CBTO?

Nice looking rifle and groups. I've got a GAP 6.5 SAUM that looks similar and shots well. If you can find one, try out the 3 round Curtis Customs short action magnum magazine with the rifle. I really like the more flush fit than the standard mag that came with the GAP.

Nice looking rifle and groups. I've got a GAP 6.5 SAUM that looks similar and shots well. If you can find one, try out the 3 round Curtis Customs short action magnum magazine with the rifle. I really like the more flush fit than the standard mag that came with the GAP.
I looked around for them. The short mag ones are no where to be found and Curtis site won't allow to back order them.

Yes, finding one right now seems challenging. I tried to get a 2nd one and it looked like Curtis Customs may have been out since 2020. I lucked out on the 1st Curtis mag and had GAP get it for me when they built the rifle. It will probably be a long wait and search but if you can get one, I'm pretty sure you'll like the flush fit.
20210424_094002[1].jpg