6.5 PRC Freebore and Cartridge Base to Ogive help

Maybe you could buy your own reamer and have them use it to chamber your barrel then after you chased the rifling you would have a reamer to chamber a new barrel . I've been told some of the BR guys keep their own chamber reamers that are to their specs.

Thank you very much jpndave! I have always wondered that and have never taken the time to learn SAAMI drawings. I appreciate your help!
NP, happy to share that drawing.

In reviewing the replies here it certainly seems DBoone's barrel was done with a SAAMI reamer.

Rhett's posted list is much appreciated as well as the other data posted here. I think the 0.130 freebore may be the best for my build running the binderless AICS mags to allow a little room to chase the lands. The 0.155 might be pretty close to ideal before throat wear occurs. I'm hoping to run the 147 ELD-M.

I like DSheetz's recommendation of having the reamer on hand to allow use on a new barrel or just to know what you're going to get.

I can't swear to it but I'm pretty sure the smith I use has short throated reamers and then he will push the throat depending on what you need or want. I sent a dummy cartridge w/ the 143 ELDX with my barrel/ rifle and told him I generally load 0.025 off lands. When I picked it up, he said he left a little room for throat erosion for me. My previous post shows the results. My PRC is in a long action M-70.

After months of back and forth with a gunsmith, I received my custom 6.5 PRC yesterday. So tonight I performed a lands test on my top two picks of hunting bullets. And this is where I think I have a problem...

During the build process I sent the same 2 bullets to the gunsmith to identify my CBTO and COAL touching lands and confirm it would fit in the detach mag I had chosen. So they got back to me with the info using their .180"ish freebore reamer. I crunched the numbers and decided I'd like to have more room to chase lands during the life of the barrel. So I spec'd a .130"ish freebore reamer, which would then need to be ordered.

... Back to tonight's results, my one measurement was identical to the info they sent me, and the other was off by .010".

Did they not use the reamer I had spec'd?

I'll start by putting my results up here in hopes others can do the same. I will try and test a few other bullets I have also... 135 Classic Hunter, 143 ELDX, 160 Matrix VLD.

Freebore - ??????

142 grain Nosler ABLR - 2.380" CBTO

140 grain Berger VLD Hunting - 2.317" CBTO

Thanks

I always send a dummy round to my gunsmith when getting anything chambered

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.