6.5 prc enough gun for elk

I'm not carrying a .50BMG through the mountains.
I've been known to carry a 50BMG into the mountains...the 50BMG can be quite accurate putting 5 .510 " bullets into .6" at 100 yds. 750Amax have like 6,600 ft/lbs of energy or more, at 1000yds...I use it on LR squirrels...but find it a bit on the light side, for elk...

I've been known to carry a 50BMG into the mountains...the 50BMG can be quite accurate putting 5 .510 " bullets into .6" at 100 yds. 750Amax have like 6,600 ft/lbs of energy or more, at 1000yds...I use it on LR squirrels...but find it a bit on the light side, for elk...
That's a good point- I'm sure lots of guys on here probably agree that .50BMG is a bit light for elk. Have you considered upgrading to 14.5x114 (Snipex Alligator)? Shot placement is important and all, but that extra 200gr and .8 inch diameter will help if your placement isn't quite perfect.

That's a good point- I'm sure lots of guys on here probably agree that .50BMG is a bit light for elk. Have you considered upgrading to 14.5x114 (Snipex Alligator)? Shot placement is important and all, but that extra 200gr and .8 inch diameter will help if your placement isn't quite perfect.
Excellent idea, ...just incase the elk are using armored personal carriers to move around in the mountains, during hunting season.

U
Sorry sir- we don't use objective metrics like energy, sectional density, or velocity to make educated decisions about a cartridge's suitability to harvest an animal here. I've been reliably informed by experts that the correct metric for cartridge selection is "largest you can accurately shoot." If you can shoot a .450 Nitro Express, that's what you should carry. Your wife and sons' harvests are illegitimate because they didn't use a .375H&H.
well I have shot a into express out of a double rifle along with a 416 Rigby and I will stick to a smaller calibers like a 7mm RUM 264 WM or 270 WSM with a 175 gr bullet

U

well I have shot a into express out of a double rifle along with a 416 Rigby and I will stick to a smaller calibers like a 7mm RUM 264 WM or 270 WSM with a 175 gr bullet
Lots of guys have said that and we hear stories every season about guys losing animals. Why take unnecessary chances? After all- a .264WM is just a Creedmoor with a couple hundred more fps. My guides all recommend a 30x113mm - elk are tough. It's the ethical thing to do.

I have nothing negative to say or think about the cartridge or weight of the bullet.
but a target jacket bullet on eland? Sable?
there are MANY bullets I would put ahead of that one for animals that weigh a lot less. Even Hornady the propaganda monster doesn't recommend it.
1-I don't tempt fate if I can help it.
2-I want the ability to shoot at multiple angles.
3-the animal deserves my best preparation and effort.
congratulations on a successful hunt and great shooting…you obviously placed them well!

The PH just could not believe how effective they were. My buddy only brought them because he had a bunch already loaded and ran out of time load different bullets. Since he'd killed an elk last year he figured they would work.

Quite frankly, I was more impressed with his bullet performance over the Bondstrike. I expected pass-throughs like I always got with the 130 Scirocco.

Hornady has explained that the ELD-M is pretty much the same as A-Max. Too much has been made by the "iT's a MaTcH bUlLeT!" crowd over how it's marketed, rather than how it's constructed and how it performs on impact.
Guys have dissected it dozens of different ways and there are numerous tests showing it in ballistic gelatin. It's a jacketed hollow point and expands at expected velocities. I've got my doubts about how well it holds together on heavy bone, but the same can be said about tons of bullets. Watching dozens of videos and photos of animals harvested with them, it's clear that it's not an FMJ projectile that pokes .26 cal holes- it's a basic jacketed hollow point that lacks some of the special features like interlocking rings or bonding, but it still does JHP things.

Hornady has explained that the ELD-M is pretty much the same as A-Max. Too much has been made by the "iT's a MaTcH bUlLeT!" crowd over how it's marketed, rather than how it's constructed and how it performs on impact.
Guys have dissected it dozens of different ways and there are numerous tests showing it in ballistic gelatin. It's a jacketed hollow point and expands at expected velocities. I've got my doubts about how well it holds together on heavy bone, but the same can be said about tons of bullets. Watching dozens of videos and photos of animals harvested with them, it's clear that it's not an FMJ projectile that pokes .26 cal holes- it's a basic jacketed hollow point that lacks some of the special features like interlocking rings or bonding, but it still does JHP things.
The ELD-M doesn't hold up well on bone. I killed a decent size cow elk with one that I drifted the shot slightly into the shoulder. All I could find was shrapnel with no large damage path. It was a 6.5mm 140 ELD-M at 342 meters, 20 degrees up, ~2450fps & 1850ft/lbs. on impact. Yes the elk is in my freezer. But that bullet didn't anchor/kill as cleanly as it should have. If I hadn't pulled the shot slightly and kept it behind the shoulder it would have likely been a very different story. Odd angle, I was soaking wet, day almost done and rain turning to snow... With big country, especially late season elk, that is all too common though.

I killed a medium sow at 50yds and the performance was awesome. .26 hole in, baseball sized out, mush in between. Not a step and a couple of twitches, done! If you can guarantee they stay in the soft stuff and don't impact too fast that is an awesome bullet. I will be trying something else to give a little better performance on quartering or if it catches a bone.

As to is the 6.5 PRC enough for elk? Guys will continue to dig in on both sides, quote the many, many moose killed with 6.5 in Europe (even though they are actually smaller and almost always killed very close with long high SD bullets) in defense of the 6.5. Others will say not enough unless it's at least a 30.... I say, yes it's enough, but no it's not an "elk cartridge". Will it do the job? Yes. It it the best tool? No. I'd say look at the 6.5 PRC's bigger brother the 7mm or the 300... Honestly at distance the 7mm might be the better tool, especially considering recoil, where it leaves faster and with the better BC carries further.

Last edited:
Any projectile that flies apart in mid flight because of a slightly faster twist and/or MV sure won't be good for heavy bone.
Or a brain shot if it doesn't arrive.! Maybe they were designed for the CM bwahahahah

I'm still waiting for the magical "blowed up" match bullet.

We shall see in a few of months.....

I'm still waiting for the magical "blowed up" match bullet.

We shall see in a few of months.....

Not that many shooters have electron microscopes! 😂

And, as I stated previously, those that insist on using this type of bullet only "immortalize" it's successes…..they never speak of it's failures!

I admire those that fell for the loud "pontification" of some…..to step forth and tell of their disappointment when these bullets failed to live up to the praise heaped upon them"!

I also have "some" respect for those using these bullets that will explain that they "must" be used (placed) very carefully to expect satisfactory results! I don't agree with their choice of the bullet…..but, do admire their honesty! memtb