6.5 prc enough gun for elk

If a 270 Winchester with a 130gr bullet is ok for why wouldn't a 6.5 PRC with a 130-156 gr be good for elk. My wife and sons killed their first elk with a 243 with 100 gr partitions
No- .375CheyTac is the minimum suggested cartridge for elk hunting. Elks can read the stamp on the case head and will shake off the shot and run for 27 miles.

"Although Scandinavians have been killing moose and reindeer with 140gr 6.5 diameter spitzer bullets traveling much slower for a century, but newer chamberings sending expanding bullets that size 25% faster won't kill an elk."
-LBLRH fudds
Maybe those moose and reindeer aren't as tuff as the big bad North American wapiti

OK - so posters are shooting elk with everything from .223 to 340Wby and are very successful. Lets ask a slightly different question:

Given an unlimited choice of rifles in any chambering; what would you consider to be the ideal cartridge for hunting elk in an unknown location and climate?

You get only ONE choice.
338 Win Mag with Federal 225 grain loads. This combo shoots everything well.

I used a 6.5 PRC with 143 Bondstrikes and my buddy used a 6.5 SAUM with 147 ELD-M's two weeks ago in Africa. Both were right around 2925 fps.

We shot (2) Sables, a Waterbuck, a Gembok, a Kudu, both a Blue and Golden Wildebeest, a Blesbok, (2) Impalas, (3) Warthogs and a Jackal. All were dead within 40 yards with one shot at ranges from 80 - 250 yards. Most shots were in the 100 yard range. Only the jackal had an exit.

I have zero concerns shooting elk with either of these bullets at any range where the velocity is within the range to reliably expand.

I used a 6.5 PRC with 143 Bondstrikes and my buddy used a 6.5 SAUM with 147 ELD-M's two weeks ago in Africa. Both were right around 2925 fps.

We shot (2) Sables, a Waterbuck, a Gembok, a Kudu, both a Blue and Golden Wildebeest, a Blesbok, (2) Impalas, (3) Warthogs and a Jackal. All were dead within 40 yards with one shot at ranges from 80 - 250 yards. Most shots were in the 100 yard range. Only the jackal had an exit.

I have zero concerns shooting elk with either of these bullets at any range where the velocity is within the range to reliably expand.

At just what velocities are the ELD-M's supposed to expand reliably…..according to the manufacturer! memtb

View attachment 460192View attachment 460193View attachment 460194View attachment 460195Said 6.5 prc in first picture… Hawaiian Axis deer I took with air gun… luckily I can get in altitude training at around 8-9k elevation here ..
Great pictures! You seem to be quite proficient with your 6.5PRC which is capable of taking elk, large and small. Do you have the time, resources, and desire to become efficient, accurate, and just as confidant with a larger caliber?

These High BC Target bullets are going bite somebody in the behind on larger animals. But it won't be MINE

Larger than what? Eland? Elk? Whitetails?

After the PH commented on the internal destruction caused on the 400-500 animals shot with the ELD-M I asked if he'd use it on an Eland. He said they're real tough and he'd want a stronger constructed bullet. He made inference he wouldn't use the Bondstrike either after having seen the recovered bullets. There were two Eland taken with bows while we were there so they ain't that f'ing tough.

I thought my 338 Lapua necked down to 308 and a 180 partition going 3300 fps was minimum
Sorry sir- we don't use objective metrics like energy, sectional density, or velocity to make educated decisions about a cartridge's suitability to harvest an animal here. I've been reliably informed by experts that the correct metric for cartridge selection is "largest you can accurately shoot." If you can shoot a .450 Nitro Express, that's what you should carry. Your wife and sons' harvests are illegitimate because they didn't use a .375H&H.